Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AcidCH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Port Forwarding not working on HH5 Type A

Go to solution

Hello,

I've stopped myself from making this post for some time now but I really do believe I've exhuasted all my options.

I am attempting to port forward for a couple of game's servers on pc. I have previously had these working for weeks - It all suddenly stopped working a few days ago. I had set and still have a static IP for the PC that the ports are pointed to, I've tried changing the static IP address on my pc (the addresses I have tried are 192.168.1.58, .64 and .122 to try and cover any DHCP ranges) and getting a new external IP by resetting (and obviously adjusting the settings for the ports for the new static IP). I have checked that I am not IP sharing as per the port forwarding check list for HH3. I have set the Default gateway on pc to the correct ip address of 192.168.1.254. Online port checking tools used to tell me the ports were open when i first port forwarded weeks ago but they are now closed when I check. To try and fix this I have: Reset the router via power, factory reset the router, turned off uPnP and all firewall protection on the home hub, disabled any of my own personal firewalls, double checking to make sure windows default firewall is disabled and no third party fire walls are installed or activated. I have also made sure I am on the latest homehub firmware.

Using internal port checking tools such as Simple Port Checker shows the port as open but then fails to see the port using the online checker. Both of my games fail to join the servers I have created using my external IP address, but work fine connecting on internal IP address.

I can also post the event log if this helps

Thanks

Conor

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Port Forwarding not working on HH5 Type A

Go to solution

The static IP address need to be outside of the DHCP range, as the home hubs have difficulty maintaining the same IP address if you use DHCP. This seems to affect the "A" variants, as the HH2A and HH3A have similar issues.

See http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/portforward.html

and

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/staticip.html

0 Ratings
AcidCH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hello,

Thanks for your quick reply - Sorry for my late one, had to sleep and then go to work.

I've just gotten back and attempted setting the static IP of my computer to 192.168.1.50, out side of the DHCP range but again no luck. What is strangest about this all to me is that it was working for weeks and then stopped suddenly with no change of settings by myself.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Try a factory reset of the home hub, and start again.

Did you check to see if your IP address was not being shared?

0 Ratings
AcidCH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hello,

Factory reseted to start again and went through all of the steps:

• Device I am port forwarding to static IP set to 192.168.1.50, and no other devices hold this IP address
  • All of the rest of my Ivp4 settings on the device are the same as before: Default gateway 192.168.1.254, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, DNS Server 192.168.1.254.
  • Disabled uPnP
  • Disabled all firewall protection on HH
  • Disabled personal firewall and checked no other firewall programs running on device
  • Checked that I do not have a shared external IP address - That I'm not on a CG-NAT Ip
  • Checked HH is running latest firmware
  • Added port forwarding rule for port 25565 to 192.168.1.50, which is the port minecraft server uses

Still the same as before, online port checking facilities say the port is closed, also tested while running the minecraft server. Using the program 'Simple Port Tester' while not running minecraft server shows the port as open but their own online tester shows closed as well. Running simple port tester with server on shows port being used. Cannot connect to the minecraft server using external address but can connect on internal address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@AcidCH wrote:

Hello,

. Cannot connect to the minecraft server using external address but can connect on internal address.

Are you trying to connect to the external address from a different connection, like 3G, or a totally different Internet connection?

If not, then it probably will not work because NAT Loopback is not enabled on many of the home hubs, so you cannot connect to your own public IP address, from within your own network.

0 Ratings
AcidCH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

It was working for three weeks so I'm not sure why it would stop working just now if NAT Loopback was disabled the whole time, also I have someone else on a seperate device and IP address in America trying to connect and they get the same connection time out as I do.

0 Ratings
AcidCH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I ended up buying a new router and the port forwarding facility works on there perfect. Still was never able to get it to work again on the home hub but worked immediately on the new router. Possibly mine was faulty or there is an issue, not sure.

0 Ratings
aivix
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Hello, i got same problem now. Is there any fix for that ? Or just need to order NEW router ?
0 Ratings