Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ian64
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Port Forwarding on BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I am trying to set up port forwarding on my Smart Hub 2 to view my Slingbox (which uses port 5301). All the steps work perfectly and I am able to create and save the following rule.  

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 18.30.12.png

I have verified the internal device address, and tested that the port on the device is open using the Mac Network Utility.  When I test the port against my external ip address, it is still closed.  I am on version 0.11.00.09070-BT of the firmware.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I have only just upgraded to this package/router (at considerable cost), so I would prefer not to have to change the router! 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Port Forwarding on BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

You need to test the port from a different Internet connection, like mobile data, as the home hubs do not support NAT loopback. You cannot check your external address from with your home network.

Another option is to use one of the many websites that allow you to check for open ports.

0 Ratings
girish12
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
are you trying to access this from an iOS device (iPhone/ipad)? I have port forwarding issues too when it comes to using it on iOS device but surprisingly it works OK on samsung device which proves I have done the port forwarding OK on BT Smart Hub2. I didn’t had this issue on BT Home Hub1. In my case I am struggling to get the Hikvision iVMS-500 to work on iOS devices with port forwarding in BT Smart Hub2.
0 Ratings
Ian64
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Yes, I've done this both from my iPhone over 4G and also using one of the thrid party websites.

Thanks for your response

Ian

0 Ratings
Ian64
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

I did indeed try to do this from my iPhone, but also from a third party website.  Interesting that your Samsung device worked okay.  I'm sure this should tell me something, but I'm not sure what at the moment?

0 Ratings
girish12
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
My security camera engineer mentioned that this looks like a handshake issue between BT Smart Hub 2 and iOS devices for port forwarding. He said this issue needs to be looked at by a developer in BT Smart Hub 2 world, they could have missed a trick in their handshake module for iOS device. I hope BT can fix this as I would really like to keep BT Smart Hub2 with the disc. It was just incidental that I tried on my office phone which is a Samsung. At least that proved I had done the port forwarding correctly. I am quite technical myself so I know there is nothing left in the Smart Hub 2 configuration for me to try out. I tried DMZ too and put my iPhone and the Hikvision NVR in DMZ but no luck. Tried DDNS too but that was a long shot anyway!
Good luck mate! Hope we get a fix soon.
0 Ratings
Ian64
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the response.  I tried all that too... for about 3 hours this afternoon!!  Also did a factory reset, which I understand MAY bring about a download of the latest firmware tonight.  I'll keep you posted if it works/helps!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

If you need me to check from this end, I have a Microsoft utility which will check to see if the port is open?

0 Ratings
Ian64
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you.  That would be very helpful.  My external IP address is currently: 81.129.255.28 and the port number is: 5301

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@Ian64 wrote:

Thank you.  That would be very helpful.  My external IP address is currently: 81.129.255.28 and the port number is: 5301

That is working, there is nothing wrong with port forwarding. It must be an issue with the app you are using, or you are trying to use the app while connected to your own home hub network, and not mobile data.

I assume you are running a DDNS service which keeps a track of your public IP address, and translates it to a web address?

Starting portqry.exe -n 81.129.255.28 -e 5301 -p TCP ...

Querying target system called:

Attempting to resolve IP address to a name...

IP address resolved to host81-129-255-28.range81-129.btcentralplus.com

querying...

TCP port 5301 (unknown service): LISTENING
portqry.exe -n 81.129.255.28 -e 5301 -p TCP exits with return code 0x00000000.

0 Ratings