cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

Port Forwarding on HHub6

I have a correctly working Dynamic DNS in place and a wi-fi camera correctly configured with a static IP address on my home network. 

I can access the camera from my home PC using the internal "192.xxx.x.x: port number" BUT , when I set up port forwarding on my HH6 in order to access the camera from outside my home network using "DDNS: portnumber",  (which works perfectly),  I can no longer access the camera from my home network using the local IP address.

As soon as I turn Port forwarding off I can access it again internally, (but obviously not from an external location.

Any suggestions or is this a "feature" of the BT Hub?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: Port Forwarding on HHub6

I too have similar issue with Plex server. And can’t access it locally when port forwarding is on. Only started getting issues when using homehub 6. Think it’s a dns rebinding issue.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

The home hubs do not support NAT loopback.

You would have to access the Plex server using its local LAN IP address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Hi Keith , I’m unable to access via local address it fails, says server dropped connection if manual port forwarding or upnp enabled. I can access remotely so I know port forwarding works ok but since using homehub 6 it prevents any local connection. However if I turn off upnp or delete the manual port forwarding then it will work locally, downside is no remote access then. However my Apple TV that is connected via Ethernet does work. My issue seems to be any devices that connect via wireless fail when trying to connect to the server in local network. Only started getting issues when homehub 6 is used.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

It must be one of the many reported "features" of the home hub 6. I would be inclined to use a third party router, and save youself the hassle.

All of the home hubs seem to have some issues, most have been there since the home hub 1, I suspect a lot of the code is being re-used, judging by the fact I saw the same issues when I had a home hub 1.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 12

You describe my issue perfectly. Port forwarding is preventing access via local IP address.
I reckon the problem is related to UPNP on the hub in some way
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Yeah. Unfortunately BT will not be interested and I doubt any future firmware updates will rectify issue.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

I assume you both have turned off UPnP

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@Strac wrote:
Yeah. Unfortunately BT will not be interested and I doubt any future firmware updates will rectify issue.

It would need a complete re-write of the code,  instead of re-using code from earlier home hubs.

Most of the software changes since the home hub 1, have been to the web interface to make it appear more user friendly, and to validate the user input to avoid incompatibilities with the internal CLI, which was especially an issue with the HH1, 1.5 and 2, causing spectacular crashes.

Some of the "features" like DHCP table not clearing, UPnP not working properly, plus a few others, have been around for a while now.

Provided people are happy to do a factory reset, and do not expect anything complicated to work, then its fine, otherwise use a third party router, especially if you have a lot of Smart devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Yes turned off upnp and once a manual port forwarding is set it fails to connect in local network. Delete the port forwarding rule and upnp switched off. Local network back up and running.
0 Ratings