Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sanderr2
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Port Forwarding on Home Hub 5

Hi all, I'm trying to share a web page from port 5000 on my iMac to the outside world.  I can access the web page fine from within my wireless network so that end of things seems fine. 

In the settings for my Home Hub 5 I have created a port forwarding rule using 

"Web server" and my iMac as the device.

I've then created the rule to just map port 5000 (the port I want to share) to port 5000 (as I don't want any port translation). 

I apply this rule and then I've used a tool to discover my iMac's external IP address. However when I turn off Wifi on my phone and try to access the port using Chrome over 4G I don't get any response. 

I've turned off UPNP as from searching the forum that seems to be a common cause of problems but no joy. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in anticipation, 

Rob

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Port Forwarding on Home Hub 5

The use of Port 5000  as a Web Server is a bad choice, irrespective of any other problems.

Port 5000

Name:
upnp-evnt

Purpose:
Universal Plug N' Play Event

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
sanderr2
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Any suggestion on what port to use for sharing a web page?

I can't find a way to see what (if any) ports may already be allocated on the Home Hub, 

Thanks, 

Rob

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Port 80 is the standard port for web servers. The home hub has a built in application for it.

0 Ratings
sanderr2
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks Keith - I will give that a go.

0 Ratings
sanderr2
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hi Keith et al, my application has to use a port value higher than 1024. I've arbitrarily chosen a value in the 18xx range and tried to set up port forwarding on my Home Hub. I have to choose a game/application so I chose HTTP webserver and then added a rule to forward the port that I want to access (without any translation). But no joy.

I've turned UPnP off and reset my home hub as suggested elsewhere but it's still not working. I can access my app from other computers on my wifi network but not accessing my external IP address / port. I have double checked the former using Whatismyip. 

Any other ideas?

What does the game/application in the Port Forward set up actually determine? Is there one of the "presets" that I can use and change my app to use the port configured for that game / app assuming there is an association? Wish I could just configure it all manually without this level of obsfuscation!!

Thanks in anticipation, 

Rob 

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Try setting up a new port forward rather than using something from the default list.  There should be an option something like 'Other' in the list that you can pick.  Then name it whatever you want and try port 8080 forwarded to your device.  Give the destination device a static IP, (for example 192.168.1.70) or whatever you like, outside the dynamic range used by the hub.

I stopped using hubs years back,  too many restrictions, never mind the often dubious stability.