Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JayR94
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Port forwarding on the bt Home hub 5

Hello Guys

Basically today i've been trying to open the ports for my xbox which are the following 53,80,88,500,3074,3544,4500

Went through the step by step in the firewall settings; porting forwarding>Manage games>add new game>ports put in>apply and the ports are still closed when i check them

not quite sure what im doing wrong but i would like some help!

https://portforward.com/bt/home-hub-5/ that is the step by step i done

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Port forwarding on the bt Home hub 5

You could have a look here and see if it helps.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Port-Forwarding-Home-Hub-5-XB1-issues/m-p/166979...

Personally I would get a decent third party modem/router where UPnP will work in the correct manner.  Saves a lot of bother.  I found that the hubs I've had and those belonging to friends didn't keep the settings or otherwise stopped forwarding properly.

Some people are quite happy with the Hubs, they must be getting good ones and we have just been unlucky.  I never use a Hub here.

0 Ratings
JayR94
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Thanks for the post! I tried resetting my hub and turning off upnp but that didn't help either still says the ports are closed Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Make sure your IP address is not being shared.

IP address sharing

BT are implementing CG-NAT for certain Option 1 customers. This will prevent port forwarding from working.
For more information, please visit this link.  IP address translation/sharing

The test that BT suggest, relies on BT keeping their information updated on the databases, and as more
of BTs IP ranges are being shared, this may not be be the case.

Your Broadband IP address as shown on your home hub, must be the same as your public IP address,
otherwise port forwarding will not work, as you would be on CG-NAT.

cgnat.jpg

Also, its usually the "a" variant of the home hubs that seem to make port forwarding difficult, but not impossible,

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 5 of 20

"Option 1"? Not heard that term before.  What does it mean, and to whom does it apply?

Keith's link says it applies to "BT Total Broadband Option 1 customers" and details some of the catastrophic impact of CG-NAT, but it doesn't explain who falls under that "Option 1".

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

Just to add to what @Keith_Beddoe said, if your Hub has an IP address in the 100.64.0.0/10 range i.e., 100.64.0.0 -  100.127.255.255 then you're using shared addressing. This address range is that reserved in RFC 6598 IANA-Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space.

As per Keith's point, simply ensure the IP address seen in the Hub as your 'Broadband IP address' is the same as that seen when visiting sites such as http://www.whatsmyip.org/.

Regards

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 7 of 20

@smf22: I was just wondering who gets lumbered with that rubbish. Clearly no techies would put up with it since almost nothing other than the web will work with it.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 20

Hi MorgaineD,

The option 1 seemingly refers to those customers that have the extremely limited download limits and basically only do email and a little browsing.  So they wouldn't know the difference.  (10GB monthly allowance)

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 9 of 20

Aha, @Liam_, thanks. The poor souls. :-(
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 20

Hi @MorgaineD: According to the IP address translation/sharing page it's being deployed to "BT Total Broadband Option 1 customers."

As this package has very limited download, around 12GB per month from what I can see, I presume users on this product were selected on the basis that they use the Internet rarely and/or for very simple use cases. A you say.... probably only browsing.

Come the IPv6 revolution we'll no longer need any of this though Smiley Happy

Regards

0 Ratings