cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 121 of 127

Re: Port forwarding.

Have you tried just with one device connected to see what happens? If you have disabled UPnP and only forwarded the ports to one device there shouldn't be a problem. You can't forward the same ports to more than one device.

0 Ratings
Message 122 of 127

Ok so I've decided I will try this process. Can anyone tell me if its possible on the tp link w9970 please. 

I want to block certain ports to all ip address that are assigned by dhcp.

Pretty sure this is possible but don't know how to implement it. 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 123 of 127

@Jaysnp101 

That is possible using the firewall rules, provided you have enabled the firewall.

You can specify a range of ports, or block access to the Internet on all ports.

That has nothing to do with port forwarding, and its mainly used for parental controls, or just stopping a device from accessing the Internet, but still allowing access to other devices on the network.

It really out of the scope of this thread to discuss this.

0 Ratings
Message 124 of 127

OK here's how it works. Your firewall by default blocks all incoming connections to all ports.

If you put a device in the DMZ, all ports are open and all incoming connections go to that device and that device only.

If you forward individual ports to an IP address, incoming connections go to the device with that IP address as long as the device is listening on that port.

If you enable UPnP, incoming connections will go to any device that is listening on the required port.

NAT 'types' are just an invention of the gaming fraternity to describe various means of letting ports through a Firewall.

NAT is NAT, Network address Translation, nothing more, nothing less. NAT just accepts connections on a public IP address and sends them to the correct private IP address.

0 Ratings
Message 125 of 127

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks, I will try this later. 

I think it fits in perfectly for this thread as for some reason I'm unable to port forward, use upnp or put devices in the DMZ. I'm sure BT prevent me from other things too but just not noticed yet. This will rule out if other devices are "holding" on to.ports they no longer require and preventing other devices from using them.

@licquorice 

I'm not sure you know what I meant but thank you anyway, I know what they all do and what NAT is  😃 

0 Ratings
Message 126 of 127

Been given a new ip address, 5.xxx.xxx.xxx

0 Ratings
Message 127 of 127

Ok I've used service filtering and doesn't seem to make much difference.

What should happen if I disable upnp, no port forwarding or dmz. 

Can I still get a connection?

0 Ratings