Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g4jnw
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Port forwarding

Go to solution

I ditched the smart hub in favour of a VR900 and up to now its working fine.

I port forward 8080 and it always works and still does (just checked with a port check tool)

But ive just had CCTV fitted and while it works internally on a 192 address, when i port forwarded port 4999-5802 yesterday so i can access the cameras when away from home, it worked all day yesterday but today the ports are no accessable. I have checked and I am still on the same public ip address starting 86.

I didn't want to rely on a no ip service is there any other way as there must be hundreds of people with CCTV 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Port forwarding

Go to solution

Did you make sure that the internal LAN IP address of the CCTV system was reserved in the DHCP table, as port forwarding on that router uses the LAN IP address as the rule, so that must not change? If the DHCP lease has expired, then the CCTV could be given a different IP address.

Also, many CCTV system manufacturers have their own free DDNS service. Which system are you using?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Better still give the CCTV system a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of the router on the system itself.

Without some form of DDNS service there is no way to track any changes to your public IP adddress.

0 Ratings
g4jnw
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

The way i have it set up on my VR900 is i added in virtual server (not sure why TP link call it that and not port forwarding) 4999-5802 port, the CCTV uses 5800, the camera system is Zosi and it uses its own software Zosi view and you put an external ip address, port number, username and password, thats it.

It worked fine yesterday and using whats my ip address the public ip hasn't changed.

Internally the set up is different as it doesn't need IP addresses in the software, it only uses account info.

0 Ratings
g4jnw
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Im not sure what you mean by static ip outside of the DHCP range or how that would work as im accessing my public ip not the internal ip address, in the software i have to use my public ip when using it outside my own internet service.

I have tested by using an outside service and it worked yesterday but not today and the port checker times out so its blocked but yet the port i use for another service, port 8080 checks as not being blocked.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

You are forwarding your external public IP to an internal LAN IP. Unless you fix that internal address, it may also change as the router allocates an internal address using DHCP. To avoid the internal IP address changing it is good practice to allocate a static address on the device itself rather than letting the router allocate it. In order to avoid clashes of address, the static address needs to be outside of the range that the router's DHCP server allocates to devices.

0 Ratings
g4jnw
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Think i may have found an issue, we had a power out due to a thunder storm last night, when its come back on as its DHCP its given my CCTV 192.168.1.108 rather than previous 103 so that means i have to go into the set up and change it. If this happens when away i would loose access.

You say about out of range, i could try that but not sure what the range is, can you suggest an ip address and i'll change it to one over that

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@g4jnw wrote:

Think i may have found an issue, we had a power out due to a thunder storm last night, when its come back on as its DHCP its given my CCTV 192.168.1.108 rather than previous 103 so that means i have to go into the set up and change it. If this happens when away i would loose access.

You say about out of range, i could try that but not sure what the range is, can you suggest an ip address and i'll change it to one over that

Either set it manually on the device itself as @licquorice  suggested, or  add the IP address and MAC address to the DHCP IP reservation table, then it will always get the same IP address, even afer a power cut.

If you want to give the CCTV its own manual IP address, then anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 would be outside of the DCHP range.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

IP reservation.

vr400 ip reserve.jpg

Unless you use the Zosi Cloud Service, you are going to need to use a DDNS service in case your public IP address changes.

0 Ratings
g4jnw
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Thats great, would you suggest adding an out of range and also a reservation or just leave it as a reservation and using the given ip address, im learning something new!!

0 Ratings