cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 81 of 127

Re: Port forwarding.

@Jaysnp101 

I can't really help about settings as I've never had a TP-Link modem/router , I just know that they work quite for BT broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 82 of 127

@Anonymous 

The NAT is still type 2 moderate. 

Are you able to help with any of the settings that are best for the tp link 9970.

All I've done so far is add port forwarding.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 83 of 127

To save me going back through all the previous messages, are you on FTTC or FTTP?

As far as I'm aware it's just a case of entering the username which is bthomehub@btbroadband.com (leave the password field blank or, if it insists, just enter BT) and choosing the right protocol (VDSL or PPPoE depending on the answer to the question above)

If that fails you could try the connection wizard or maybe @licquorice or @TimCurtis could fill in the gaps in my knowledge

0 Ratings
Message 84 of 127

As posted by @@Anonymous , just use the quick setup option and enter the PPPoE details when prompted. 

Message 85 of 127

All ports still closed

I can put a device in DMZ , port forward every single port, run every application I own but they never open. 

Is there an easy was to check its working like :

Running an application on a laptop or mobile phone to see if the correct port opens?

Something isn't right. I can get the ports to "listen" but never open. 

0 Ratings
Message 86 of 127

Not sure what applications you are running, but very few (if any) will be expecting unsolicited incoming connections. Ports are only opened when you have some sort of server running that is waiting for an incoming connection to it.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 87 of 127

You could try opening a command prompt window and typing netstat -a (that's netstat space -a) and press enter.

This will return a list in the form of IP address:port number to show which ports are open,

It might not mean a lot as ports only open when requested to by an application on your machine but it may be worth a try

0 Ratings
Message 88 of 127

@Jaysnp101 

Regardless of port forwarding issues , has installing the TP-Link made any difference to your lag & other issues?

0 Ratings
Message 89 of 127

Hi guys

Hope you had a good weekend.

Despite moving over to my w9970 it made no difference.

I'm now pretty sure that having a 172.xxx  address as my default gateway is causing me issues.

Now like I had previously mentioned I thought it was due to CGNAT. I have read several other articles that 172.xxx addresses are private and not public. 

Could this be the problem. Only thing it could possibly be I think.

0 Ratings
Message 90 of 127

Yes the 172.xxx is in the private address range but it is just the link to the BT BRAS and is the same for every BT customer. You have already proved that your public IP address is visible on the net by checking with what's my IP. I have already proved that port forwarding works with a 172.xxx gateway address by opening the port to a server on port 50505.

0 Ratings