Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
azurian
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Port was open, now closed

Hi. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

I set up a Foscam ipcam via my mothers home hub router. I linked it to port 88. All was well.

Suddenly, yesterday, we lost the link. I remotely tested the port, and it was reported that the port was closed. It was most certainly open for 24 hours, then it closed itself. No one has interfered with the router.

Can anyone suggest what might be happening and what I could do about it?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Port was open, now closed

Are you on option 1?

Did you set the camera to a static IP address on your home network as shown here?

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/cctv/foscam/foscam1.jpg

0 Ratings
azurian
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your reply, but I cannot use your links as I am currently 160 miles away from the router, and I am not using the BT network in question.

Thanks anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@azurian wrote:

Thanks for your reply, but I cannot use your links as I am currently 160 miles away from the router, and I am not using the BT network in question.

Thanks anyway.

Are you trying to access the camera from its Internet IP address, or have you configured a DDNS host so you can access it via a web address?

0 Ratings
azurian
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi again.

I am trying to access it via its Internet ip address. As I said, it worked perfectly for about 24 hrs, then it just stopped. I checked remotely to see if the port was open, but the result saidd it was closed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@azurian wrote:

Hi again.

I am trying to access it via its Internet ip address. As I said, it worked perfectly for about 24 hrs, then it just stopped. I checked remotely to see if the port was open, but the result saidd it was closed.

Then that is why. The Internet IP address is dynamic, and will change, which is why you can no longer see the camera.

You need to sign up for a DDNS account like DynDNS. That will give you a web address which will always follow the IP address if it changes.

You have to enter the details on the Dynamic DNS screen of the home hub.

All you can do is  ask your mother to tell you what her current public IP address, by asking here to visit

http://www.whatismyip.com/

Then you can alter things at your end, to reflect the new IP address.

There is nothing else you can do for now, until you get access to the home hub settings.

Here is an example using the NO-IP service.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/ddns.html

0 Ratings
azurian
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thank you for your help.

The last ipcam I set up was on Virgin Media and the IP address is static. I assumed that the BT one would be as well.

My only doubt is that when we lost the feed, my brother checked the IP address using whatsmyip.com, and it hadn't changed.

I guess I need to wait until I can get back and investigate all lines of enquiry.

Thanks again for your prompt, deatailed responses.

0 Ratings
Nefeco
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

You can also run a free windows 'service' (on a PC that the BT router is attached to) which will monitor the router's external IP address and, when it changes for any reason, will email you the new one, which you then put into your camera viewer...takes about 5 minutes to set up and is easier than the faff of setting up a DDNS service. I use IP Monitor (www.ipmonitor.com.ar) but just type "monitor external IP address" into Google - there are loads. IP Monitor works a treat.

0 Ratings