cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArkeIris
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Possibly Unauthorised Connections.

So, I'm saying 'possibly' because my package does allow others to use my router, I think it's BTFon I've got. But if someone connects through that, would the connection show up in the network folder on my desktop computer? The reason I'm asking is because I have had devices show up there and have stayed connected until I've changed my WiFi login details.

A few days after, another device will show up though and I do need to ask just to be safe. I really don't want to have to set my home network to the public setting to avoid my stuff being compromised since some of my devices need to be able to connect to each other.

Just to point out my login password isn't the simplest one to remember, being a very random assortment of characters with no sense behind them. I promise I do have a way of remembering it myself but it's not a way anyone else should be able to discern.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Possibly Unauthorised Connections.

Welcome to the forum.

It's unlikely to be anything to cause concern going by what you say about your password.  If you could post a screen shot of the network folder on your computer it might shed some light on what is showing there.

0 Ratings
ArkeIris
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Okay. The next time the device connects, I'll do it.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

I see this ocassionally on my Windows 10 PC & I don't use a BT Hub so no BT wifi connections.

I don't think it's anything to worry about as these devices don't get assigned IP addresses and aren't actually connected to my network. They're not seen as connected devices in my router so I don't imagine it's an issue.

I don't recall seeing this happen prior to Windows 10 so maybe it's a quirk in there somewhere, hopefully.

Edit: Just had a thought about this.

If on a wireless PC you run something like Inssider you see all the local wifi signals, I wonder if what's happening is that you're seeing someone seeing you (your router). Obviously there are smart phone apps that do the same.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Do you have any powerline adapters on your network?  I've seen similar posts from people with powerline adapters where a neighbour's devices have connected via their own powerline adapter which has made a connection to the neighbouring adapter.

0 Ratings
ArkeIris
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Hi.

So, yeah. the computer I tend to use to see my connections is connected through ethernet and I don't use any extra programs. I do have wifi connected devices of my own but I don't check my network through them. Also, although I don't think it's relevant, I'm going to mention just in case, I do have WPA disabled since having it enabled is merely a convenience that I'm worried could be abused.

I'm not sure what a powerline adapter is so I'd guess not.

0 Ratings