cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechMadCallThePolice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Powerline Adapters breaking premium channels?

Go to solution

Okay thank you

I've done a bit more technical digging and it looks like the powerline adapters aren't completely transparent devices.

My theory is that BT checks the Mac address that they are transmitting to - because the Mac isn't a BT Hub, it's a BT Powerline adapter, I believe that they restrict the IPTV multicast services (presumably to protect content theft)

There is a cable coming from the ONT into the wall, this feeds to the wall socket they installed I the living room with the telephone end on,

I'll have a look if it's possible to use that as cat5 cabling as mentioned above - thank you

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

Its more likely that the  Mini Connectors are designed to pass multicast over a private LAN address range, and not a WAN (Internet) address range. You would normally use powerline adapters on the LAN side, but there have been people using these other ones for linking the ONT and the home hub.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-flex-1000-kit-080219-BB4X.html?refs=50910

They are rather expensive, and there is no guarantee they would fix the problem.

Best to use cabling instead, I am just surprised that the builders did not install Ethernet cabling as well.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Unless the mini connectors are performing some form of DPI, they wouldn't be aware of what the IP packets contained or their addresses. I think the MAC address is probably the cause.

0 Ratings
TechMadCallThePolice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks Keith

I know it's very strange ! Looks to be an RJ11 connection that is installed in the living room, however I'm not sure what connection it plugs into in the fiber ONT 

As far as I know, RJ11 Contains the same cabling that RJ45 Ethernet uses, so maybe an adapter could fix this!

As for the powerline adapters that you kindly sent a link to - that's actually the model that I am using which was provided by BT

Thanks again 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Depends if the RJ11 socket has been fully wired or just the 2 wires for telephony. Preferable to fit an RJ45 at each end if it is Cat5 cable.

0 Ratings
TechMadCallThePolice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

Omg I found a solution.

NOTE TO ANYONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM!!! 

I took the sockets off the wall and noticed that they actually had a CAT 5e ethernet cable in the wall. This cable was used to connect the phone socket from the socket next to the fibre ONT -> socket near my TV

I purchased a Cat 6 ethernet module from Screwfix (uses the same cable as cat 5e, just different coating on the pins)

I then followed the wiring diagram and have managed to wire an ethernet socket each end...

I have just tested for the first time and.. SUCCESSSSS!! 

THIS NOW MEANS I HAVE A CABLE DIRECT TO MY HUB NEXT TO THE TV!!

You just need something called an IDC tool to press the cables into the cat 5 / 6 socket 

Pictures below!

Images of install 

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

Simple, in the end 😀

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

Yep, well done!

0 Ratings
TechMadCallThePolice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution
Haha exactly! This has been an issue for weeks.. resolved in 20 minutes haha!

Thanks for the support throughout this 'adventure'!
0 Ratings
TechMadCallThePolice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution
Thanks!

And thank you again for the continued support 🙂 I hope this can help others as this is all over the forums and no one ever posts a solution..

Thanks all!
0 Ratings