cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Powerline Adapters for Smarthub 2

Hi, looking some recommendations for powerline adapters.

I've got a Fibre 500 connection using the Smarthub 2. My kids both currently use their 2 Xboxes wirelessly but complain about lag and high ping.

I've heard that a powerline adapter connection could improve this.

Any recommendations on which to use?

Also I presume just one needs plugged into the SH2 acting as the master with the others then connecting to the Xboxes? So a triple pack would be suffice.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Powerline Adapters for Smarthub 2

@glennbentley 

These should be fine https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-600-kit-084284-BVFL.html

They are available as a pair, so if you needed an extra one, you would have to buy two pairs, which would give you one spare.

You are correct in that only one must be connected to the home hub, and the other two would have to be paired to it.

The first set would already be paired, but you would have to add the extra one separately, by pairing it with the other two.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

These things use the house mains wiring for connectivity, so only work on the same ‘ring main’ as the Router is plugged in to. So you need to check out the mains wiring in your house first.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Or these ones that come as a triple pack of master and 2 slaves and have wifi as well as 2 Ethernet ports.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@NilocW40 wrote:

These things use the house mains wiring for connectivity, so only work on the same ‘ring main’ as the Router is plugged in to. So you need to check out the mains wiring in your house first.

I think you will find they work perfectly well across rings on the same consumer unit.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for all the replies.

Am I right in assuming that these would give a better more stable connection for the Xboxes over that of WiFi? E.g. less lag and ping.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

That will largely depend on the quality of your electrical wiring, but should be an improvement on wifi. Obviously an Ethernet cable is the best solution.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Well ‘licquorice’ I bought the same adapters as in the link from BT and they didn’t work across different rings on the same consumer unit in my house! So much so that I explained my setup and BT agreed they wouldn’t work and refunded me the purchase price.

The ‘data’ light came on when paired on the same ring, but when I moved it onto the other ring where I wanted to use it, no ‘data’ light.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Conversely if you Google it, many people report Powerline adapters working fine between rings. I suspect it depends on the type of MCB fitted in the consumer unit.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@NilocW40  I have just moved one of my powerline adaptors to a different ring to the one connected to the hub as a test and it works just fine.

Not only on different rings, but on different halves of the consumer unit.

0 Ratings