cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Powerline adaapters

Go to solution

Hello

I use a pair of SimplerNetworks powerline adapters to connect my YouView box to the home hub.

The connection they provide is becoming unreliable and occasionally needs resetting.

Any recommendations for a direct replacement?

Cheers

Deejay

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Powerline adaapters

Go to solution

Have a look at the TP Link range. Work fine for me.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

It's certainly possible your powerline adapters have developed a fault but imo it's much more likely that something is causing noise in your electrical circuits.  You won't know which until you have replaced and tested  the adapters.  An alternative would be to take another look at WiFi using the latest solutions.  I've recently joined BT and decided to go for their whole home WiFi solution and using only one disc I've been astonished at how well everything is working - computers, printers, phones and TVs.  This is a large 5 bed house and previously my Virgin router left many areas with only borderline service.  Just my 2p

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Morning all

Thanks for the suggestions.

The possibility of mains problems has crossed my mind. Before I replace the adaptors, I'll have a look at the mains wiring and sockets.

Will WiFi  work with the BT YouView box?

Cheers

Dave

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@deejay 

You will obviously need a wifi client at the point where the Youview box is so you can plug it's ethernet cable into.

If you have the SmartHub 2 then the subscription channels like BT Sport should work OKish otherwise not.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

You can't 'see' electrical noise so a visual check of your wiring won't answer the question.  Hopefully a YouView box user can answer your other question but the box does have an HDMI port so maybe you could use a NowTV adapter for example.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Morning Earthling

Thanks for the reply.

You can't 'see' electrical noise so a visual check of your wiring won't answer the question.

True, but a check in the tightness of the screws did no harm.  They can/do work loose over time.

I replaced the socket anyway and I'll have a look for a mains filter I've got somewhere.

Cheers

Dave

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hello all

Just to close the thread ...  I spoke to BT about this and they said that the powerline adapter link was just about acceptable, but 'borderline'. They credited my account with £20 to buy a patch cord to temporarily by-pass the adapters.  This improved the quality of the link, but there were still 'odd' problems. Scheduled series of recordings would disappear from the schedule. Occasionally I would get bad pixellation on recordings.

We agreed that this intermittent behaviour could be a memory problem, so they sent a replacement set top box. This, so far, has solved the intermittent faults, so I ran a permanent cable to replace the Powerline link and all now appears to be well.

Cheers

Dave

0 Ratings