Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mathewjg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Powerline adapter does not work on some sockets

Go to solution

I have home hub 5 with infinity 2. I use one of the Ethernet ports to connect to my smart TV via a simpler networks powerline 200mbs adapter.

The connection was fine but I noticed recently that it has stopped working. If I move the receiver to another mains socket in a different room it works fine. All sockets on the ground floor are connected to the same ring main (Except the Oven). None of the mains sockets in the room with the TV will now connect the powerline but the green mains light does come on.

I am pretty sure that the electrical connections are good. I have TV, Laptops printer etc all working fine on the sockets in the room that has problems. 

Worth mentioning that the mains socket that the receiver would normally be connected to is an RCD type. As mentioned it was working fine. About 3 weeks back the RCD socket started making a buzz so I had it changed for a new one.

I would guess that the RCD is causing the problem - but if it is then how comes all the other sockets in that room do not work with the receiver and yet all the other sockets in the house do? The green mains light comes on but the data and Ethernet lights do not. On all the other sockets the green power light comes on and then the data light turns green within a couple of seconds

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
2ndmouse
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Powerline adapter does not work on some sockets

Go to solution
Hi mathewjg

I might be wrong, but I think problems with powerline adaptors are beyond the remit of this forum. It's not something that BT can fix.

The mods will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ
I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Powerline adaptors should work OK with RCD sockets. Did your problem coincide with the new socket being fitted? If so that is the obvious thing to blame. It could be that the RCD has built in surge protection that can cause problems with Powerline adaptors.

One way to test it is remove the RCD and replace it with a standard socket but only do this if you feel confident working with electricity or have a qualified electrician do it for you.

0 Ratings
mathewjg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi - The manufacturer website advises that customers have to deal direct with BT. They came with my BT vision unit so its not unreasonable to ask bt for help - but thanks for your input

0 Ratings
mathewjg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi - the powerline adapter stopped working before the original RCD showed signs of failing. The RCD was about 10 years old so probably at the end of its useful liife - but it didnt damage the powerline adapter because that still works on other sockets. It is possible/probable that the new RCD is causing the problem (although I dont really understand how) so I will disconnect the RCD socket tomorrow and see if that cures the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

RCDs do contain coils of wire as part of the system to detect earth leakage.  It's possible that those coils are also blocking the signal over the power lines because of their inductance.

If the adaptor works fine on other sockets on the same ring, I can't think of anything else that would cause the problem.

0 Ratings
mathewjg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Success! I replaced the RCD (twin) wall socket with a normal switched twin socket and that cured the problem - it is odd though that the older RCD socket had worked with the powerline adapter for several months previously. Its also odd that it effected other sockets in that room

I bought an RCD adapter in the hope that I could then plug that into the spare wall socket but that also causes the powerline adapter to fail - so it does seem that its necessary to avoid using RCD's anywhere near the powerline adapter. I would be interested to know if all powerline adapters fail with RCD's or if its just this model - Simpler networks 200mbs.

0 Ratings