cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kev1
Message 1 of 6

Powerline drops connection from Home Hub 2 to Home Hub 5 upgrade

Hi all,

I used to use the BT Powerline Flex 500 to an office in the garden no problem with the HH2. Now just been upgraded to the HH5 with Fibber Optic but the line is very unreliable. 

The Powerline works fine in the house but not when moved to the garden office. 

Troubleshooting done:

Reset Powerline and re-paired - same.

Using Wifi and LAN - same.

Replaced Powerline Flex 500 - same.

All device firmware up to date.

Lights on the powerline stay green.

Connection drops on Laptop and Iphone. 

When line drops , cannot PING Router.

I think it may be the extra traffic coming down the powerline to the office and the line can't hold it??

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kev

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Powerline drops connection from Home Hub 2 to Home Hub 5 upgrade

Infinity uses a much wider range of frequencies from the cabinet to your house. Because of this, its more likely to interfere with the frequencies that the powerline adapters use, causing them to lose synch.

The best option would be to run an Ethernet cable from the house to the office.

0 Ratings
snowjoke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

> Infinity uses a much wider range of frequencies from the cabinet to your house. Because of this, its more likely to interfere with the frequencies that the powerline adapters use, causing them to lose synch.

It seems unlikely (to me!) that phone lines would interfere with connections between extenders, which operate over power lines and are unlikely to be physically anywhere near the phone line. The Home Hub is physically separated from the extenders by an Ethernet cable. Is phone line-created interference with powerlines a documented phenomenon?

@Kev1I have a similar problem with the BT powerline extenders and Home Hub 5 (though I haven't tested the extenders with any other Home Hub versions). I'm just using them in the house, but am getting periodic loss of connectivity with the Home Hub for no apparent reason (while I am still able to ping other Hot Spot extenders over the power lines). So my best guess is that it's some problem at the Home Hub end.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Powerline adapters are using the mains wiring, the home hub 5 also has a power supply plugged into the mains. At the high frequencies involved, it almost impossible to prevent some form of capacitive coupling taking place from the home hub power supply and home hub, to the live and neutral of your mains supply.

The powerliine adapters themselves, will try and make best use of the frequencies available to carry data, much like your Infinity connection from the cabinet to your home.

They are attempting to work over a very poor transmission medium, your house mains wiring. Any additional devices like the home hub, are going to degrade this transmission path, especially if its is already degraded due to the distance between your house and your outbuilding.

0 Ratings
snowjoke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

If that is the case, then perhaps it might help OP if he plugged his home hub power supply into a surge protector power strip, rather than directly into the wall? I have one of those strips, and the extender didn't work at all when plugged into one, so presumably they're good at isolating those frequencies. I have one similar to this: Masterplug SRG62-MP 6 Gang Surge Protected Extension Lead 2m 13 Amp Fused

I am a bit sceptical that that is the problem, but if OP has one lying around, it could be worth try.

0 Ratings
Kev1
Message 6 of 6

It is strange how it works off the same powerline in the house and it is working fine but just the one outside has issues. 

I will try the surge protector for sure.

Thanks for the input

0 Ratings