cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Powerline keeps disconnecting on HH5

The HH5 supports two powerline circuits; one for BT Vision and one for a laptop. Normally the laptop has 5Mbps download but when the BT Vison is in use that drops to 2 Mbps or less. That would be OK most of the time but the laptop powerline adaptor then drops the connection and will not reestablish it until the BT Vison box is not in use.

This seems to be a new phenomenon; in the past I just had to switch the laptop powerline adaptor off and on again and it would reestablish the connection.  Any ideas?

Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Powerline keeps disconnecting on HH5

can you clarify what you mean by '2 powerline circuits'

mormally you would have a powerline aadapter connected to hub and other powerline adapters paired with the one connected to the hub.  you can then extend your network by conencting devices to the powerline adapter or even connecting a switch to powewrline adapters to give more ethernet connections.

you should not be running 2 different powerline circuits

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

I agree, powerline circuits connected to two Ethernet ports, will most likely cause one of the Ethernet ports to go into lockout state.

Only one powerline adapter must be the master (AP), all the others must be slaves.

The master should be the only one connected to the home hub Ethernet port.

0 Ratings
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thanks imjolly.

The BT Vision box uses a powerline adaptor/ethernet cable and at the HH5 another adaptor/ethernet cable connects into one of the hub ports. The laptop uses a powerline adaptor/ethernet cable and at the HH5 another adaptor/ethernet cable connects into another hub port. So there are two independent "circuits" carrying data for the BT TV and laptop. 

It has worked reasonably well so far.  Are you suggesting this is not correct?

0 Ratings
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thanks Keith. Looks like I need to do some reconfiguring!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

yes that is not correct there should be only one powerline circuit and you should be able to 'pair' the powerline adapters to make just one circuit feedin all devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Thanks imjolly.  

Turns out that the BT Vision box came with Comtrend PG9020s.  These aparently are incompatible with the BT supplied Flex 500 powerline adaptors used on my laptop. So I cannot pair them! 

Seems like my broadband home network is turning out to be a BT Home Network Nightmare.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

at least you now know why the adapters keep dropping conenction adn nothing to do with HH5

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Shaptor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

True! But being one of very little brain I had assumed that

a) BT products were all plug and play, or at least compatible with one another

b) I had a hope in hell that at least I would get some reasonable cutomer service after paying £80 pm.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

There are different standards for powerline type devices.

Your bill only covers the broadband, not any extra network devices.

Is the laptop in the same room as the BT Vision box?

If so, you can simply add a cheap Ethernet switch near the BT Vision box, and connect the laptop to that, using an Ethernet cable.

The other alternative is to get hold of a single powerline adapter, matching either the Comtrend, or the BT ones, then pair it.

0 Ratings