Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skewers
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Printer has IP address but ping 'Destination host unreachable'

Go to solution

Hi,

Hope someone can help? I have a Canon TS 8000 series printer, which has worked fine for a year or so. Recently however it has become unreachable from all other devices on the network when pinged. On the BT Homehub router it is assigned an IP address when turned on using DHCP (not static IP) and the printer says it is connected to the home network. I have reinstalled the printer drivers several times and this has not worked (although bizarrely this worked once last week but has since reverted to the same problem). It is like something is blocking the route from other devices on the network to the printer. I've checked the Windows Defender firewall and nothing is obvious there. 

Any suggestions gratefully accepted,

Mike

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Printer has IP address but ping 'Destination host unreachable'

Go to solution

Try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.

0 Ratings
Skewers
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks - that does seem to have done the trick. I'm guessing the BT router had a faulty MAC address table so it could not find a route to the printer when the request was made. What I don't understand is how it can assign an IP address in the first place if it couldn't find a route to the printer (after assigning the IP address). I'm guessing the software code that assigns an IP address to a device doesn't need to use the MAC address table. All speculation of course as I'm no expert but curious to know what the actual problem would have been.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Its a "feature" of all the home hubs and is an issue with DHCP. It will re-occur, and the only solution is to give the printer a static IP address outside of the DHCP range.

You will need to do that on the printer control panel. Use something like 192.168.1.50.

See Using static IP addresses on your home network

0 Ratings