cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Printer not found

Go to solution

When you go into Windows 10 settings and go to "Devices" then  "Printers and Scanners", is your printer showing under the list of printers?

Does it show as a "network" printer?

Do you have the box "Allow Windows to manage my default printer" ticked.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

See message 6, a local printer won't be available if Windows has incorrectly identified your network as Public

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

If the printer is connected to the network and not shared through a PC, which obviously it is connected to the network by virtue of the fact other devices can print,  a W10 computer set to Public network should still be able to print to that printer if it is connected to the network, what it will not do is allow other devices to "go through" the W10 computer to access the printer as a "shared" printer.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

@gg30340 

We'll have to agree to differ on that one. The only I can access my network printer if I set my network type to public is through cloud printing

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

A network printer, as against a printer that is connected to a Windows PC via USB that is on the network, should be available to all devices that connect to that network. That is the whole reason of a network printer.

If the printer is connected to a Windows PC via USB it will only be available to other devices when that Windows PC is turned on and is set to "private network". This activates the "printer sharing" which in effect turns the WindowsPC into a printer server. Other devices on the network can then access the printer by "going through" the PC.

If it is set to "public network" as well as turning off file sharing it turns off the Windows PC's "printer sharing"  and  the printer will not be available to any other device that is connected to that network. Obviously if the Windows PC is turned off the printer will not be available to the network.

Share your network printer (microsoft.com)

EDIT: I should add that I have a Windows computer that is on my network and it is set to "Public Network" and it can use the printer and I have also just changed a Windows Laptop to "Public" to check and again it accessed and printed no problem. 

How to Set Up a Shared Network Printer in Windows 7, 8, or 10 (howtogeek.com)

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

I’d like to thank everyone for their replies.

After spending the whole weekend trying to resolve the issue I have today carried out a full reset on my Windows 10 laptop.

It’s taken about 6 hours but I’ve now started from scratch and the printer is now working ok.

Once again thanks for your help.

0 Ratings