cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colinbs
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Printers not connecting

I use 4 different printers which al connect via wi-fi, none of these printers will connect to the router until the router is re-booted, every time. My laptop occasionaly has the same problem. I spoke to the help desk, all they could say was that the hub is showing blue lights and the broadband side is working. I tried exlaining that it was not the WAN side that wa at fault but the LAN, this seemed to go way over the helpdesks head. Havng to re-boot the router 3 or four times  day is now getting to be a pain. I spoke about replacing the hub (I have a Hub4), but he said they can't!! 2 years ago I was recommended to move to BT business, but it didn't suit so after the contract expired (in May this year) I moved back to residential, the hub I am using is the same unit that I was originally given by residential a few years ago. Has anyone else had this type of problem, and surely a replacement hub would cure it.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Printers not connecting

0 Ratings
Colinbs
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

My mistake I have a home Hub 3 not 4, sorry about that. No Smart setup.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Just buy a cheap router, anything will be an improvement on the Home Hub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

have you assigned fixed ip addresss to the printers?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Colinbs
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Yes tried that, even tried flushing the whole DHCP table.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Whenever I've seen this (and been called round to fix it) I've done two things.

1/
In the printer's own menu I've set up a fixed IP address.

2/
I've used the maker's setup disk to ensure everything connects up correctly and that the router is primed with the static IP address.

On other piece of advice - if you have a HH3, dump it. The whole HH series is wretched (IMO) and if you have a standalone modem., buy a decent router (if you can) and attach that. You'll have less hassle, vastly more flexibility and better wireless.
Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings