cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yoz14
Message 1 of 8

Problem connecting Epson printer to USB on Smart Hub

Good morning folks,

Just got a second computer up and running and now want to print from both computers. I've removed the printer cable from the first computer and plugged it into the USB on the Smart Hub. I've followed the instructions as seen below and my pc can see the printer but it will not print. My first computer is running windows 7. The new computer is running windows 10.

Help please, thanks.

1) Connect your printer to the USB port on the BT Home Hub

2) Start the Add New Printer Wizard

3) Select to Add a local printer and make sure that the automatically detect option is unticked

4) Click Next

5) Select create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP port from the list

6) Click Next

7) Click Next

😎 Enter 192.168.1.253 in the printer name field and the port name will automatically be completed

9) Click Next

10) Select Custom and click the settings button

11) Select LPR

12) Select LPR Byte Counting Enabled

13) Enter the Queue Name as LPT1

14) Click OK

15) Click Next

16) Click Finish

17) Either select your printer from the list or insert the printer driver CD and click have disk

18) Click Next

19) Enter your printer name and select if you want it to be your default printer

20) Click Next

21) Select if you want to share your printer

22) Click Next

23) Print a Test Page

24) Click Next

That's it, you should now be able to print to a USB printer connected to your BT Home Hub.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problem connecting Epson printer to USB on Smart Hub

@yoz14 wrote:

Good morning folks,

Just got a second computer up and running and now want to print from both computers. I've removed the printer cable from the first computer and plugged it into the USB on the Smart Hub. I've followed the instructions as seen below and my pc can see the printer but it will not print. My first computer is running windows 7. The new computer is running windows 10.

Help please, thanks.

1) Connect your printer to the USB port on the BT Home Hub

2) Start the Add New Printer Wizard

3) Select to Add a local printer and make sure that the automatically detect option is unticked

4) Click Next

5) Select create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP port from the list

6) Click Next

7) Click Next

😎 Enter 192.168.1.253 in the printer name field and the port name will automatically be completed

9) Click Next

10) Select Custom and click the settings button

11) Select LPR

12) Select LPR Byte Counting Enabled

13) Enter the Queue Name as LPT1

14) Click OK

15) Click Next

16) Click Finish

17) Either select your printer from the list or insert the printer driver CD and click have disk

18) Click Next

19) Enter your printer name and select if you want it to be your default printer

20) Click Next

21) Select if you want to share your printer

22) Click Next

23) Print a Test Page

24) Click Next

That's it, you should now be able to print to a USB printer connected to your BT Home Hub.

Not sure, but one of the items to check is whether your printer driver is up to date For Windows 10.

You might find this on Device Manager, but failing that you should find one on the Epson Website, and this will be up to date.

Device Manager is sometimes incorrect in it's driver update information.

0 Ratings
yoz14
Message 3 of 8

Thanks but the drivers are up to date. I've not even tried to connect the Windows 10 pc to the printer yet. At the moment its the pc running 7 that will not print.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 8

@yoz14 wrote:

Thanks but the drivers are up to date. I've not even tried to connect the Windows 10 pc to the printer yet. At the moment its the pc running 7 that will not print.

Past experience with another manufacture printer is that it's better to set up a wireless pc network, bypassing the BT. Hub.

Also found with mine that you can't have one wired and other wireless.

e.g. Kitchen wireless and computer room wired.

It would take some searching, but you could set up an ad hoc (network) connection.

What model printer is it?

Is it also wireless?

0 Ratings
yoz14
Message 5 of 8

The model is Epson Stylus Office BX305FW Plus. It does have wireless but I want to hard wire both computers as neither has wi-fi. I can use the printer using wi-fi on my mobile phone. 

0 Ratings
yoz14
Message 6 of 8

No, I've just checked and I cannot print from my iphone. The phone cannot find the printer with the Smarthub like it could do before with my Draytek router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 8

@yoz14 wrote:

The model is Epson Stylus Office BX305FW Plus. It does have wireless but I want to hard wire both computers as neither has wi-fi. I can use the printer using wi-fi on my mobile phone. 

There are reported problems with the homehub USB port.

Do a search "USB printer" on this section of the Forums.

A possble solution may be to obtain a multiport adaptor, USB to ethernet, and then connect to the Hub spare ethernet port.

Will take some thought, though.......

Also USB wireless adaptors are easily available. These are simple to set up. You only really need a 2.4GHz version, but the extra dual 2.4 / 5Ghz option is better if you have local wireless interference. Wireless range comes with local condtions and price, of course.

Just read yourlatest post:- go back to a Draytek Router....Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
yoz14
Message 8 of 8

Unfortunately my old Draytek does not work with Infinity and I do not have a spare ethernet port. All 4 are being used.

0 Ratings