cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Problem with connecting black wifi discs

I have a very long house with a Hub 2 at one end and a connected wifi disc in the middle of the house. I have a second wifi disc which I need to connect to the 1st disc to fully extend the range of the system. The app starts to help but then says "cannot connect to hub" which does not meet my needs. I have tried connecting the 2 discs with the WPS button but that does not work.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problem with connecting black wifi discs

Hello @ian257 - welcome to the forum,

What are the distances between the Hub and each of the Discs?  Is it a bungalow, new or old (i.e. wall and/or floor types)?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Between the hub and disc #1 is about 8m from downstairs to upstairs through wood floorboards. No problem with this. The 2nd disc is only about 3m from the 1st with a breezeblock wall in between so should not be a problem. The lights are permanent blue. I think the problem is that disc #2 is trying to connect to the hub directly rather than connecting to the hub via disc #1 i.e. piggy backing off it. BT have confirmed that it should do this so may be a faulty disc. Sending out a replacement so fingers crossed that I am not expecting too much.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Your assessment sounds perfectly reasonable - 3m through breezeblock should not be the issue - fingers crossed the replacement disc performs as it should.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Found a solution that seems to work. The main Sky Q was connected direct to the BT Hub via a Devolo powerline adaptor. Connected the WIFI discs in the normal way and then connected the Sky Q mini box direct to the disc with a Cat 6 cable. Can be a little intermittent if the WIFI signal drops a bit.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@ian257wrote:

Found a solution that seems to work. The main Sky Q was connected direct to the BT Hub via a Devolo powerline adaptor. Connected the WIFI discs in the normal way and then connected the Sky Q mini box direct to the disc with a Cat 6 cable. Can be a little intermittent if the WIFI signal drops a bit.

Hopefully this works for you to an extent you can tolerate at the very least.  

Putting 2 + 2 together from other posts on this forum, I wonder if the problem is the combination of Sky Q with Complete WiFi.  While commenting on the desire for the next BT TV set top box to use WiFi rather than wired ethernet, some have warned that Sky Q is very greedy in its use of WiFi causing connectivity issues for other devices.

0 Ratings