Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zugspitze
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Problems With TP-Link Powerline and Home Hub 5

Spoiler

My BT Home Hub 5 has been connected to a AV1200 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac WiFi kit (model TL-WPA8630P KIT) which I purchased from PC World Online in August this year.

The Adapter (connected to the Home Hub) is model: TL-PA8010P
The Extender is model: TL-WPA8630P

The Powerline has worked in conjunction with the Home Hub without a problem for 3 months, until last week, when my modem lost its internet connection.

I originally believed that the problem lay with BT and have spent more than 6 hours in conversation with their helpline over the last few days. They say they are certain that there are no problems with the line. They also arranged for a BT engineer to visit me on Thursday. However, if the problem is not related to the BT line or BT equipment (I have a BT Home Hub 5), I understand that I will be charged £130.

I have tested the BT Home Hub without my Powerline being attached. It seems to work well without any dropped connections. I have tested this over a 24 hour period.

The problem comes when I attempt to re-attach my TP-Link Powerline adapter.

When I ‘pair’ the adapter with the extender, the ‘home’ light on both devices turns green. However, within 2 minutes, the BT Home Hub drops its connection with the Internet and is unable to re-establish contact with it.

When I switch off the Powerline equipment, disconnect it from the Home Hub and reboot the Home Hub, the Home Hub re-establishes Internet connection.

I have replicated this several times and so it seems to me that there may be a compatibility problem between TP-Link’s equipment and BT’s Home Hub.

I have ensured that my firmware for the TP Link equipment is up-to-date. Having phoned TP-Link’s 24/7 helpline without success, I have now submitted a customer service request by e-mail and received a customer service ticket.

My problem is that I don’t know whether TP-Link’s equipment is at fault, or whether my BT Home Hub is to blame – hence my confusion about who should remedy the problem.

Clearly, I do not want the £130 expense of a BT engineer’s visit if this is not necessary to correct the problem.

Can anyone out there shed any light on this please?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Problems With TP-Link Powerline and Home Hub 5

Try resetting the home hub to factory default.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-setti...

You will be charged if its not a problem with your actual Internet connection. So I would advise against a visit.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

Does it work if you connect a device directly to the home hub without the adapters?

0 Ratings
Zugspitze
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Have already tried the factory default reset on the Home Hub 😞

When the Powerlink adaptors are not plugged in, or when the Adaptor is plugged in without being paired to an Extender, there is no problem with Internet connection.  The problem only kicks in once the pair has been set up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

The main thing is that you do not request a visit, as it will cost you money.

What do you have connected to each of the Ethernet ports on your home hub?

There must only ever  be one powerline adapter connected to the home hub.

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 5 of 18

Do the TP Links need to be paired? This provides encryption between them but is not needed for them to operate. You will need to use the wifi clone feature though.
0 Ratings
tfpattison
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same issue.

Bought TP Line adaptors on Saturday and despite pairing fine when not connected to ethernet, as soon as I attempt to connect online they fail. The light to indicate a powerline network only comes on for a few seconds before switching off.

Most frustrating as we are consequently unable to watch the BT TV we are paying for.

I have been through the trouble shooting processes without luck.

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 7 of 18

Can you unpair them? Powerline devices will work without pairing. Pairing introduces encryption that MAY be the problem.

tfpattison
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Interesting! I will give that a go later and report back. Thanks.
0 Ratings
tfpattison
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

No luck unfortunately. The lights now appear on the powerline adaptors but when I search channels on the vision box it merely finds channels I do not subscribe to. I know I have a freeview reception as the TV and my Rokio stick pick up freeview without any problems.

Could it be the box? We have had it for a long time. I am within my two week cancellation period having taken out a new contract after moving house. Would it be reasonable/possible to request a new box?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

You need to connect the vision box directly to the home hub using an Ethernet cable, even if its only temporary to prove the fault.

Long Ethernet patch cables are quite cheap.

If the BT Vision box cannot see the Freeview channels, then this would point to an aerial problem or connection to the box.

If you are happy that there is nothing wrong, then you can upgrade to a BT YouView box, which is a much better device and service.

If your phone and broadband are working, then there is not point in trying to cancel, especially if you carried over any part of your contract from the last house, as you would still have to pay any cancellation charges on the old contract.

0 Ratings