Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
welshjim
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Problems connecting to HomeHub4 after software update

Go to solution

Hi all: since my BT Home Hub 4 (Type A) updated to the latest version of it's software (version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26) I've had loads of problems connecting to the hub.

Of all our devices, the iPad, the iPhones and an iMac connect fine.  But the MacBook and the Amazon Fire TV won't connect, or will connect only intermittently and for a short period before losing the connection.  The MacBook typically has a connection timeout.  The Amazon Fire TV connects momentarily, then disconnects. 

All these devices worked flawlessly for the last 18 months with the same hub, but stopped the day of the software update.  I happened to have a spare, still-boxed and unused Home Hub 4, so I swapped it for my original unit.  Every deviced worked fine again until today, when it did its software update and now the MacBook and the Amazon Fire TV won't connect again.

Anyone else experienced this?

Jim

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
pumpkin0193
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problems connecting to HomeHub4 after software update

Go to solution

Have exactly the same problem, just happened to look on here after days of head scratching and thinking my macbook was at fault. anyone got a fix? thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

If you haven't already done this try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.

0 Ratings
welshjim
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the factiry reset suggestion, but it doesn't help. I tried it and it gave a fix until the software updated and then it was back to square one.  I'd even swapped for a different HH4, which worked until that was update.

I think may have found a solution, but I will need to use the system for a time before I'm convinced it works!

Looking around on the forum it seems like some Apple users are experiencing issues when the SSID for both the 2 and 5 GHz channels have the same name.  So I just went into the advanced settings and changed the name of the 5GHz SSID to something different and both the MacBook and the Amazon Fire TV seem to connect fine to either SSID now.  It does mean you have to choose which to connect your device to, but not a problem.

I'll see if the fix helps.  Not sure why it only became an issue with the software update...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

you can conenct to both networks by entering password and then let your device decide which is best.  my wireless devices can connect to either ssid and will choose the strongest singnal depending where I am in my home - assuming they can connect to 5ghz network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pumpkin0193
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

hub reset not the answer, why does BT do an update without giving customers the option to accept it or not? 

My macbook worked fine before the update, so its not my mac at fault, terrible service from this company and this comes from someone who worked for BT for 43 years, a caring company NOT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
auto hub updates have happened since the HH1 if you are having problems with your home hub and do not want its auto updates you can always use your own purchased router
0 Ratings
welshjim
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

PROLOGUE...

Since I applied the SSID solution I decsribed above a couple of days ago, the connection problem has disappeared completely (whereas the hub was unusable with certain devices until I applied it).

0 Ratings