cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anniemac
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Problems linking new printer to BT Hub

I have a BT Hub 6 and two months ago added a Samsung printer to the network without any problem whatsoever.  I am now attempting to add another printer, but cannot get it to connect.  The latest one is Epsom Ecotank ET-2750.  I am not good technically but I can follow instructions, but still cannot get it to work.

I follow the set up, and it all goes fine until I need to connect to the Hub.  The Epsom recognises my Hub name and offers me a list to choose from.  I choose my hub, and it asks for a password.  It says both the BT wireless password and the Admin password are invalid, and I can get no further.    I decided to find some help.

I contact BT Chat and am put through to a technician.  He asks nothing, sends me a sheet of instructions for "splitting BT Hub's SSID" which it says are for BT Hubs 4 and 5.  He tells me if that doesnt work, contact the manufacturer.   

I decide to phone Epsom who have a UK freephone number, although I do not think he was UK based.  At least he listened, and said he thinks he knows what the problem is and we can fix it tomorrow, but not today.  He will phone tomorrow morning - something needs to be added so that the hub will accept the printer.

Over the years I have had a lot of help from you guys, from moderators and users.  Here is my worry.  Does all this sound OK?  I do not want to be adding something that might mess up the Hub.   I don't know how these things work but would I be breaking any rules if he asks me to change anything online to do with the hub?

Anyone had a similar problem with a new printer?  

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems linking new printer to BT Hub

First of all, did you split the SSIDs? if not, it is preferable to do so.

Secondly are you setting it up manually as described on page 24 here ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/6296/epson629674eu.pdf

0 Ratings
anniemac
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for replying so quickly.

So far I have not split the SSIDs.  I had to look up and see what SSID meant today, and was doubtful about applying something meant for Hubs 4 and 5, to a Hub 6.  

In the box with the printer there was a "Start Here", step by step, instructions.  I mainly used those although I had actually downloaded the manual to my desktop, and a couple of times in the Start Here document it sent me to an Epson address which happened to be pages in the manual.  I looked at Page 24 that you mentioned and yes, that is basically what I did.  The manual gives much more explanation and would have helped me understand what I was actually doing.  

I will check the manual and see if I missed anything by using the shorter instructions.  Do you think the Hub 4/5 split will be ok for Hub 6?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Yes, it is always best to split the frequencies as some devices don't like seeing 2 signals with the same SSID. You could always also change the wireless password to something simpler if you wanted to. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne... describes how to split the HUB6 (Smarthub)

0 Ratings