Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
extrobe
Message 1 of 4

Problems with 2.4Ghz Connections on Smart Hub

After some advice

We have the Smart Hub, and I split the Wifi into separate channels (2.4 & 5).

Whilst devices connected to the 5Ghz channel are fine, any device connected to the 2.4 channel constantly struggle to connect. They'll connect to begin with, but if we leave the house, come back, chances are it just won't connect (it'll 'see' the connection, but if you try and connect, it just never connects)

I've tried manually setting the channel, merging the SSIDs back to one, and tried 'Mode 2' - but whilst it will connect again, we have the same problem the next day or so.

Currently trying out Mode 3 - but doesn't seem like this should be necessary.

The devices include a phone (Samsung J3 - 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz), an Acer laptop (802.11b/g/n)

We did in fact have exactly the same issue with the Homehub 5 - but we managed to resolve it by manually setting the channel - but that doesn't have the desired effect on the Smarthub - I think that's down to there being fewer channels to choose from on the Smarthub.

Any other suggestions? My next step is just going to be buying another basic router to dedicated to handling 2.4Ghz traffic - not ideal, but prefferable to throttling all other traffic.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems with 2.4Ghz Connections on Smart Hub

The problem appears to be congestion on the 2.4 GHz channels so another router is likely to have the same problem.

How many wireless networks do you see from your devices ?

0 Ratings
extrobe
Message 3 of 4

thanks for the reply.

That's been my suspicion too - though was never an issue with the SKY router we had, which was only 2.4 if I recall.

I can probably pick up about 10 signals on my laptop (fewer on my phone) - mostly low strength. We're in a cul-de-dac of detached houses, with open farmland behind us, so I'd be surprised if it couldn't handle that many signals.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Problem with HH6 is that it only has 3 channels on 2.4g so it could create a problem in congested areas. You Sky hub probably had the usual 13 channels to choose from.
0 Ratings