cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Ps4 connection. I'm at a loss.

Hi people,

Hoping someone can shed some light on a fix for an issue I have. 

Since changing to BT my Ps4 Internet connection is appalling. The situation does not improve via ethernet. (Actually, it does for 5 minutes and then falls to bits again)

The connection to router (newest smart hub) is fine. Connection to any other device in the property is amazing.

However, I can't even stream video on the PS anymore, and most games requiring a fast connection are useless. 

The PS isn't the issue. Via hotspot from my phone provides a better connection. Trying the PS on friends WiFi networks provided optimal speeds. 

What is happening? Why does the smart hub not like the ps4. How can this be rectified?

Many thanks

Chris

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Ps4 connection. I'm at a loss.

My sons PS4 had issues with some games, it was down to port forwarding, more noticable on the likes of CoD/Warzone etc

According to Playstation.com :

The port numbers used to connect with the PlayStation™Network servers via the Internet are:

• TCP: 80, 443, 465, 993, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080
  • UDP: 3478, 3479

Some games will have their own specific ports that need forwarding, check the support pages of the games in question.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Check the hub settings and if Smart Set-up is enabled, try turning it off to see if that helps

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Hi chaps, thanks for the replies.

The Ps4 has a static IP, the ports are open and the IP is in DMZ.

The wireless connection is always appalling regardless of game/app. The oddity is the ethernet connection. The Ps will initially hold speeds of ~30down and 6up, but after 5 to 10 minutes drops down to the same as the WiFi. (2down at best, 0.6up)

This same cabled connection works without issue with my laptop.

For the last 14 weeks I've travelled a lot for work and taken the Ps with me. The PS has worked faultlessly on all the hotel networks - so don't believe issue to be hardware there.

Relationship appears to be purely SH2 to Ps4, any medium.

But....but..why? 😂 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Did you try disabling Smart Set-up? We have a PS4 and PS5 and both work faultlessly with SH2 apart from the WiFi in PS4 being a bit pants..

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Hi Nigel,

Yep - smart set up is disabled.

It's bizarre. It's worked fine wirelessly with Plusnet previously too. 

May have to try and do a 3rd party router set up 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Double check which network it's connected to because BT Hubs also broadcast an open network called BT WiFi. This is effectively a hot spot that all BT broadband customers can access. It works by allocating a small percentage of your bandwidth to external users. The PS4 could be defaulting to this network rather than your main one which is resulting in the lower speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

It's definitely on mine, which is renamed appropriately. 😉 

Also wouldn't have any bearing on the ethernet oddity!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

It's definitely an odd one. Have you tried a factory reset of the hub? That's the only other thing I can think of...

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Yep, no change.

My hub and Ps just have a really poor relationship...

The xbox works fine! 

0 Ratings