cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rexed
Message 1 of 18

Public and Private IP's NEVER change

Hi
I've been having this problem on and off ever since joining BT but now i just can't understand what's going on.
Under settings, Broadband, TCP/IP address is what it says is my Broadband IP, starts with 88.
The last few times I've checked my public/external IP it's exactly the same as this, even after turning off the Hub 5a, factory reset, different devices whether wired or wireless and even changing the default IP from the 192 range to the 172 range.
This IP never changes neither with any of the 5 devices connected (all the devices are different IP's) even though in settings next to the devices IP i have don't have the box checked for "always use this IP", so why is it always using this IP?
But tbh I'm more concerned with the public IP not changing, when i used to check regularly it would change a few times a day, now it's been stuck on the same one for weeks?
I checked my logs and they've gone from no problems to sudden TCP blocks etc literally constantly one after another right from the time the public IP didn't change.
I am right in thinking that it should change IP aren't I?
And also that it shouldn't be showing the IP from broadband settings as a public IP?
Btw, I'm on my 5th hub for this problem
Thanks
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Public and Private IP's NEVER change

Your public IP addy is assigned to you by BT. It tends to be sticky in that it doesn't often change when the router resyncs but it could do. BT has pools of these IP addys to hand out to its users upon connection. One of which is:

• 109.148.0.0 - 109.151.255.255

I'm not convinced that ones starting 88. are BT's but if you post the 1st 2 parts I can find the pool (but not your individual addy, be assured).

Your public IP has absolutely no connection with your internal IPs of your devices which are by default with a HH are of the form 192.168.1.n. They are hidden from the Net & you can change your DHCP IP range willy-nilly w/out it affecting your public IP.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

@Rexed Why do you consider it a 'problem'

Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 18

I would like to have the 'problem' of a static/very sticky WAN IP.

0 Ratings
Rexed
Message 5 of 18

Hi,
I consider it a problem because as soon as it's started using this as a public IP before i got hacked and had endless problems.
@XRaySpeX Cheers mate,
Under settings, broadband, internet, internet connection configuration
TCP/IP settings
Broadband network IP
86.163.21.***
Default gateway
172.16.1*.**
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS

And my public IP is exactly the same as the broadband network IP address.
The hub had just been switched off for 7 hours, switched back on but no IP have changed, everytime I read an expert answering they say just turning off the HUB 5 results in a new IP, i could do a factory reset but it still won't change lol.
I'm I am on dynamic not static.

The main reason I'm bothered is just by looking in settings I can see all the hacking attempts (a few successes) which started when my public IP became the same as the broadband network IP address, before that it's clear for months on end.
When I was hacked before they even hacked the router 😕
Thanks for the help
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 18

Access attempts are a fact of life when connected to the Internet, especially an IPv4 address.  Over the last two days my router has blocked 865 access attempts.  All this means is the router is doing it's job.  So what was 'hacked' the router (doubtful) or your PC?

The Hubs have proven to be unaffected by the recent router hacks so it would be interesting if you could give a little more detail of the 'hack'.

Are you certain that the suspect 'hack' is not the BT remote administration.  EG: TR069.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

You can try disconnecting using the disconnect option on the Internet section of the hub menu. This drops the session while still maintaining synch.

Then click re-connect again, and you should find that your public IP address has changed, that will always be the same as your broadband network IP address.

The only time that was not the case, was when BT were trialling CG-NAT, so maybe that was what you were seeing?

CG-NAT is no longer used by BT Broadband.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

Yes, 86.160.0.0 - 86.171.255.255 is 1 of BT's IP pools. You said '88' earlier. That's why I couldn't find it.

Why are you bothering to change your Default gateway IP to 172.16.1*.** from the default 192.168.1.254? It is not protecting you from hacking & attacks.

Your public IP is your broadband network IP always by definition.

Rexed
Message 9 of 18

@liam, it wasn't actually the BT hub that was hacked, i was using an old router so that was probably my fault and maybe hacked router was a bit over the top it was just something one of the BT tech staff said and the amount of crazy things happening made me think it might be. I did have a lot of logs from then and screen shots but God knows if i can find them.
I know that the access attempts are a fact of life but it's just the fact that before the 24 Nov this year i can look at the old logs and there's nothing, no attempts, no "TCP Blocks, suspected TCP reset attack" UDP blocks, block remote administration, blocked because of ICMP relay etc, etc, it's just completely clean from day to day until the 24th to 25th Nov then WHAM, it's endless.
No, i know what the TR069 is etc thanks.
I'm wondering if it's because i rooted an android phone right around that time? I'm sure that could leave some holes for people to poke around..
On a better note the public IP has actually changed after being off for 7hours but at what @Keith_Beddoe said the public IP will always be the same as broadband network IP address?
Just a few days ago, the 24th i checked my public and it showed as 200 and something while the broadband network IP address was still in the 86 range?
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 10 of 18

I suspect the Default gateway 172.16.1*.** mentioned is actualy inside the BT natwork, IE: WAN side rather than the LAN gateway address.