Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Public and Private IP's NEVER change

@Rexed wrote:

Just a few days ago, the 24th i checked my public and it showed as 200 and something while the broadband network IP address was still in the 86 range?

Perhaps you are confusing your public IP address with your LAN address, which is allocated by the home hub DHCP server, and is within a private address range and not Internet routable.

As you mentioned earlier about the option "always use this IP address". That refers to your IP address on your private LAN, and has nothing to do with your public IP address.

There are no public IP ranges beginning with 200, used by BT Broadband. My webserver keeps a log of all BT IP connections originating from the main BT broadband domains.

I could provide you with a list, if you are interested?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 12 of 18

@Rexed 

I think you would only have to bother about the Android device if it was permanently connected and running some form of remote access application that opened ports via UPnP.  Otherwise not an issue far as I can see.  Some third party routers had/have some vulnerabilities.  The Hubs on the other hand, despite their other issues, appear to be fairly secure routers.

Remote scanning of IPv4 is a relatively simple task.  The FTP server running here when using IPv4 had access attempts often in the hundreds daily, some days much worse than others.  On IPv6 nothing in the logs other than legit account access attempts.

Having a 'sticky' IP address is not a bad thing.  Your systems (PC etc) AV and Firewall should provide any extra protection required.

0 Ratings
Rexed
Message 13 of 18

@XRaySpeX Hi, it's just something I did the other day thinking it might boot something into action, i know it won't stop any attacks.
The 86. IP is the new one it's just given me today after switching off the Hub for several hours which doesn't normally work, previously to that it was in the 88 range, i could look for a screenshot and let you know if you'd like?
The last set of if logs were TCP reset attack suspected, invalid TCP flags for current TCP state on pp3 and invalid TCP flags SYN inside connection
My speeds seem way down as well showing data rate 8113/48997
Maximum data rate 8286/57775
0 Ratings
Rexed
Message 14 of 18

@Keith_Bedooe Hi and thanks, when I said 200 i was just vaguely remembering it was actually 213.205.192.194 but i might have been using mobile data at the time, that is a possibility.
I wasn't confusing it for the LAN though, i know that's either 192 or 172 thanks, the reason I mentioned the do you always want to use this IP was because i don't have that ticked for any devices yet i always have the same LAN IP on every device ever since i joined BT over 2 years ago lol, i actually thought the local area network IP didn't change but seeing the tick box made me think the LAN IP on the connected devices should change occasionally, definitely once in two years lol.
0 Ratings
Rexed
Message 15 of 18

That list of all BT's IP connections would be much appreciated as well, for checking logs especially. My email is *****@gmail.com
I did have several BT emails but hadn't logged for a few months and upon getting back in yesterday found them gone?
It just keeps saying there are no yahoo emails associated with that ID, then i got to another page which said they'd been deleted, i could understand if I'd been gone over 6 months but was more like four.
Thanks again

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 16 of 18

The Hub LAN IP address for devices will always be 192.168.1.* etc.  Only if you change the default IP range in the router for example to 10.10.0.* or 192.168.0.*

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

@Rexed

Here is a snapshot which I have just taken, it lists the BT IP ranges logged recently. There are none beginning with 88.

BT IPs logged

There is nothing secret about these ranges, and they can be found by using tools on the Internet. This list also showns the most used ones.

This list can only be viewed from your BT Broadband connection and is not visible to anyone else, so don`t waste you time trying Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 18

213.205.192.194 is an Orange/EE GPRS service. You were using your mobile on the EE mobile network at the time & that was the public IP it assigned to it.

Oh, I forgot, BT mobile is a MVNO on EE's mobile network, so it could just as well have been a BT mobile.