cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kahn1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Quality of service feature on bt hubs

How is this still not a thing? The network congestion is insane when someone is watching netflix and im trying to play a game, i shouldn't have to buy a nighthawk router to fix this, get on it bt YOU should be providing it not a 3rd party

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Quality of service feature on bt hubs

@Kahn1 wrote:

How is this still not a thing? The network congestion is insane when someone is watching netflix and im trying to play a game, i shouldn't have to buy a nighthawk router to fix this, get on it bt YOU should be providing it not a 3rd party

BT supply a basic router for free, to provide you with a connection, and make it easy for them to support.

If you want anything with better features, then you have to buy your own. You do not need to buy a Netgear Nighthawk, the TP Link TD-W9970 (£40)  has QOS and bandwidth controls to control users.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

0 Ratings
Kahn1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

supply a basic router for free? i got a smart hub that i pay out the azz for, not free and not a basic router

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

you pay for broadband and phone not the hub  the hub is free and only if you do not complete your agreed fixed term contract will you need to pay for the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Kahn1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Ya and i had to pay so not free, bt don't come knocking on my door every router generation with a free improved device

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

you chose to buy the hub but you were supplied with a hub when you joined BT  The days of a free hub everytime you renew your contract have gone  You can still with a bit of negotiation get a new hub when you come to renew your contract but they are not offered

This is no different to most companies now.   I renewed my SKY contract but was not offered a free SKY Q box 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Kahn1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Im sure i seen a Quality of service feature on another common home hub from another provider...or maybe not my memory is a little fuzzy but i would be surprised if none of the big providers offered the feature, point being if even 1 of them have it bt can do it too, how difficult can it be to tell the hub to prioritize something

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

If BT supplied an advanced router, then the amount of extra support staff that would be needed to deal with all the different possible configurations, would cost BT a fortune.

As it is, the home hub can always be reset to a known state, by a factory reset, making it easy to support. There is nothing special about the home hubs, unless of course you believe all the advertising hype.

Kahn1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Re: Quality of service feature on bt hubsi

Quality of service is not a complex feature, it could be patched into current hubs if they really wanted to

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Re: Quality of service feature on bt hubsi

I think @Keith_Beddoe post suggests not as simple as you think and not to mention the extra staff required to answer all the queries that would arise from it

you never know maybe some future hub will have the facility

0 Ratings