cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Query before install

Hi just wanted to double check my home set-up would be fine with fttp install.

Currently I have this set-up with ADSL - Netgear DM200 Modem - Linksys WRT1900ACS Router - and a couple of BT Mini Connectors 1000MBPS 1GB Powerline Adapters. Landline for home phone.

This is ideal for my needs and works flawlessly.

My contract was at an end, so decided to go with fttp. Was offered DV at the same time, but wasn't keen due to the fact that the BT supplied router was needed for this to function. I understand that it would have been possible to use both routers, but decided against this. 

Am I correct in thinking that the new ONT will take the place of the Netgear DM200 modem and everything else will function as before? 

I have also purchased a couple of IP phones which I connected to my router and I am in the process of trialing some third party VoIP providers.

There is a double power socket next to my master socket where everything is connected, so I am hoping the fibre ONT can be installed in the same place.

Hope this isn't too long a post, thanks in advance for your help it is much appreciated.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Query before install

As long as you don't opt for DV you'll be OK, the ONT will replace your netgear modem. Talk to the installer about the best position for the ONT, where yourr master socket is immaterial for FTTP and will be redundant.

Don't expect 1 Gb powerlines to give you that throughput though, 500Mb at best possibly less.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Query before install

Thanks for the quick reply, @pippincp the powerline adapters are used for TV and streaming, purchased as an alternative to WiFi, so far they have been excellent. I understand that the master socket is now redundant but I am hoping that the fibre can be installed at the same place.

0 Ratings