Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

Question about returning old hubs etc. to BT

Go to solution

Sorry if this isn't quite the right place to post this message, but I'm not sure where else to do so.

I have a number of old BT hubs and hub phones that I want to dispose of. I'm aware that I can request kit return bags from BT but given the quite significant number of items and the effort involved in packaging them up and taking them to a post office I'd like to know whether BT would be seriously disadvantaged were I instead to take the items to my local recycling facility and put them in with other electronic items. Formally the kit belongs to BT, and although I doubt that they'd pursue me for it I wonder whether they log its return as a means of quantifying their environmental credentials.

Incidentally the reason that I have quite a lot of items is that as friends have been sent upgraded hubs etc. they have offered me their old ones as spares, and I have always accepted. It is now time for a clear-out - before I find myself appearing on 'The Hoarder Next Door'!

TIA.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Question about returning old hubs etc. to BT

Go to solution

You can do as you wish with the old BT hubs. You do not need to return them to BT. It is an EU requirement that companies selling/giving electrical equipment offer a recycling service for old equipment. Call me cynical but I doubt if BT really care one way or the other if you return it to them as there will be little or no monetary gain in it for them.

FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks - that's very helpful, and what you've said confirms my suspicion.

And by the way, I sense that you are a realist rather than a cynic! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

If possible, be environmentally friendly, and recycle any unwanted old Hubs.  Councils should provide a means of recycling old electricals so that the metals in them can be recovered, rather than just dumped in the ground.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@Ectophile wrote:

If possible, be environmentally friendly, and recycle any unwanted old Hubs.  Councils should provide a means of recycling old electricals so that the metals in them can be recovered, rather than just dumped in the ground.

Which is what the OP said he would do in his original post.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Oops!  Should have read it better.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@Ectophile wrote:

I think it's an age thing. Happens to us all.Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

@Ectophile wrote:

I think it's an age thing. Happens to us all.Smiley Wink

I know the feeling Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Rest assured that I will only dispose of my surplus hubs etc. in the electrical receptacle of my local council's recycling facility. I'm well aware that such items contain some very valuable non-renewable constituents, and while the quantities in any one instance are small, this adds up to rather a lot of valuable material across the deployed base, and I'd very much like it to be recovered. Indeed it was what might be considered broadly as environmental concerns that prompted my original post: had I thought that BT would do more to recycle/recover material from surplus equipment than the council would I'd have rung up and asked for as many bags as it took, irrespective of any personal inconvenience.

Of course if BT could produce a long-life hub that could be enhanced in the future purely by software updates then this would be less of an issue. There might be some technical challenges with such an approach but I suspect anyway that it might be asking a bit much for the marketing people to adopt it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

If BT did that, people would be endlessly complaining that BT were sending out old model Hubs and it was about time they got a new model.  People are already asking if the Hub 6 is out yet (it isn't).

Many people are willing to keep signing up for new contracts if BT offers them shiny new toys in return.  Me - I prefer a bigger discount instead.

If you send back a recent model Hub, then BT may refurbish it and send it out as a warranty replacement.  But the older ones will just go in the recycling bin anyway.

0 Ratings