Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris010109
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Question about smart hub 2 and free upgrade

Go to solution

Hi, i have recently been sent a letter from BT saying they will be upgrading me to their Fibre broadband at no extra charge and that i would need to use the Smart hub 2 that they have recently sent me (to upgrade from smart hub 1) If i didnt do this by the date of switch over i may experience service disruptions etc. 

So i wasn't using the smart hub 1 because it failed on me a year ago and i bought my own because i've heard BT hubs can be quite unreliable. I currently have a TP link AC750 dual band router and would like to know if this will be compatible when they switch me over? I know i could use the Smarthub 2 but i suspect the router i have is actually better then what has been sent to me.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Question about smart hub 2 and free upgrade

Go to solution

Can you be more precise with the exact model of TP link router you have, their nomenclature is notoriously vague. If it is a VDSL as well as ADSL router, then yes, continue to use it. If it is ADSL only, then you won't be able to.

0 Ratings
chris010109
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I no longer have the box but on the back it simple says TP-link AC750 dual band gigabit ADSL2+ modem router. Archer d2

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

if only adsl2+ modem then no it will not work on fibre vdsl

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Agreed, the Archer D2 is only ADSL. If you want to continue using it instead of the smart hub, you will need to buy a separate modem such as the Openreach Huawei HG612

chris010109
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the help!

0 Ratings