Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katep
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Question about the Hub

Go to solution

Hi so I have BT Infintiy and was wondering

I have the hub and router in my front room because that was where we had are pc but now it is up stairs in a bedroom I am just wondering if anyone knows how much it would cost to have the hub and router moved to that room so I can keep a wired connection on my pc

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Question about the Hub

Go to solution

Probably the cheapest way would be to buy an appropriate length Ethernet cable and run that from the Hub up to the PC.

That's what I did here, router ground floor front wall and cable runs upstairs to the back room.  No drilling holes, run along skirting, round door frames etc.  Just measure what you need.

0 Ratings
katep
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Not sure that is an option for me the other reason I am thinking of doing this is I have nothing downstairs now that uses the internet so its not really needed down there
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @katep and thanks for posting.

Good idea @Liam_. You could also try the BT Mini Hub or even extenders.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Do you have any telephone extensions in the room or nearby that you want the hub to be sited?

If you do, you could try connecting the hub to that. You may lose a little speed but it could be worth it for the convenience of having the hub where you want it. Failing that you could get the telephone master socket moved but it would cost about £130 to get Openreach to do it.  

0 Ratings
katep
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Yea I had a phone line ran in years back so I could connect my Sky HD box to the phone line so it would just be the hub and router box that is connected into the master socket
0 Ratings
Highlighted
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

If you don't want to run a cable, you can buy HomePlug AV adapters for £20-40 that'll allow you to run ethernet over the power wiring in your house. It works very reliably. BT makes some, but any brand should do as they are transparent to your router and home devices.

PS If you go homeplug, make sure you change the network name to something other than the default HomePlugAV. For years these devices shipped with the same name and that could allow traffic leakage to and from your neighbours. This is hopefully fixed in newer generations.

0 Ratings