Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Question re connecting new third party router to current set up

Go to solution

I'm just about to give up on BT routers as a very bad job. My problem is that I'm not sure how a third party router (thinking of going for the AC1600 as that's about right for my price range - Fritz looks fab, but too expensive).

But, I seem to have managed to clone my home plugs (TP Link AV200) to my original Hub 3 because even when the Hub 3 isn't plugged in, it's showing that it's still online - definitely the home plugs.

What I'm concerned about (and it's not something I have a problem with when I plug new BT 5 or 6 routers in), is that the home plugs will need completely resetting and with my only basic knowledge of these things I'll mess it all up. This can't afford to be messed up for long as it's the home plugs that enable my cctv to work. This is actually the ONLY thing that works seamlessly when I plug a new version of the BT hubs in. (Giving up on the 6 becasue the WPS doesn't seem to work and my old lap top won't connect to the hub wirelessly either!)

Do you think I will have an issue with the home plugs set the way they are if I use a third party router?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Question re connecting new third party router to current set up

Go to solution

Won't be any problem at all, the identity (SSID) of the homeplugs is just a label, you can call them waht you like. They will work with any device.

Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Without any resetting or re pairing? 

0 Ratings
peterh0001
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, the pairing is between the two homeplugs not between the homeplugs and the router. I have swapped router for testing a few times and the homeplugs just keep on rolling.

Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Brilliant - thanks - this is a minefield to someone like me with no tecnhical training and lots of tech! 

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I've FINALLY set my AC1600 up, but unfortunately the home plugs don't seem to be rolling on as I hoped - have posted a separate thread covering this and a few other AC1600 compared with BT Hub queries...

0 Ratings