cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AKG_RP
Message 1 of 7

Questions about BT Home Hub 5 and BT infinity connection.

Hi,

I was looking into the settings on my BT Home Hub 5 for the first time today and noticed the settings were very limited.

Is it possible to change the DNS servers?

Can I put my gateway in bridge mode?

Can I use another gateway instead of the BT Home Hub 5 if I wanted to?

Also have some questiiions about my Infinity connection.

I noticed that my Home Hub is connected with an RJ11 and not a RJ45. When I look at BT's broadband packages it says "Fibre optic broadband" when looking at the unlimited BT Infinity 2 package. As far as I know RJ11 is used for a copper and not a fibre?

Regards

AKG_RP

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Questions about BT Home Hub 5 and BT infinity connection.

@AKG_RP wrote:

Hi,

I was looking into the settings on my BT Home Hub 5 for the first time today and noticed the settings were very limited.

Is it possible to change the DNS servers? No, you can not change the DNS servers on the homehub

Can I put my gateway in bridge mode? When you say gateway, are you meaning putting the Homehub router into bridge mode. If so I don't think you can but others may be able to advise.

Can I use another gateway instead of the BT Home Hub 5 if I wanted to? Again if you are refering to the gateway as being the router, yes you can replace the HH5 but you would need to either get an Openreach modem for the router to work or get a VDSLmodem/router.  

Also have some questiiions about my Infinity connection.

I noticed that my Home Hub is connected with an RJ11 and not a RJ45. When I look at BT's broadband packages it says "Fibre optic broadband" when looking at the unlimited BT Infinity 2 package. As far as I know RJ11 is used for a copper and not a fibre? BT Infinity is FTTC, Fibre to the Cabinet. From the cabinet to your house is through your copper telephone cables. 

Regards

AKG_RP

0 Ratings
AKG_RP
Message 3 of 7

gg30340 wrote:

Again if you are refering to the gateway as being the router, yes you can replace the HH5 but you would need to either get an Openreach modem for the router to work or get a VDSLmodem/router.  

Thanks for your reply gg30340.

So I can get an Openreach modem and then set it to bridge mode so my WRT1900AC can handle the NAT and DHCP?

Regards,
AKG_RP
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I think you are confusing your self. The Openreach modem is not a router or set to bridge mode. It is a modem which connects the VDSL and connects you to the Internet. Once it is connected you then connect a router, in your case the WRT1900AC router if that is what you want, to the Openreach modem.

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Hi gg30340 - surely if you log on to the HH5 and select "Advanced Settings/Broadband/Dynamic DNS" it is possible to change the DNS - providing you have a DNS provider?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

I don't have a HH5 to check but I found this

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/BT-Home-Hub-5-Dynamic-DNS/td-p/1236881

which would appear to allow certain DNS providers but it would appear that you are unable to change the homehub DNS settings on its own.

0 Ratings
jamdo23
Message 7 of 7

Go into HH5 settings, disconnect the internet. Then you can change the dropdown on DNS to manual, enter your preferred DNS addresses and reconnect to the internet. Worked for me with OpenDNS.
0 Ratings