Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Simon1989
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

R6400 – AC1750 Netgear Router and YouView box

Go to solution

Hello guys,

I'm hoping somebody will be able to give me some help.

I've just upgraded from my BT Homehub to a Netgear R6400 - AC1750 (Dual band gigabit). I've managed to get it all set up and working except for the youview box.

It's connected via the ethernet but it just can't recognise the internet connection. I've seen advice suggesting that all i should need to do is disable IGMP proxying. I've done this but still no result. This is about the limit of my technical troubleshooting so i'm now a bit stuck.

I really don't want to have to return to router as it otherwise seems perfect. I'd greatly appreciate any help that anybody could offer.

Thanks

Simon

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: R6400 – AC1750 Netgear Router and YouView box

Go to solution

You need to enable IGMP snooping.

0 Ratings
Simon1989
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Hello Licquorice,

Thanks for the quick response! 

Forgive my ignorance... is that a setting in the router or elsewhere?

Cheers,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

It will be in the router somewhere.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

When you say it doesn't recognise the internet connection , exactly what do you mean?

Can you play stuff like BBC iPlayer but not BT sport or can't you get any on-demand services working?

Are you on Infinity (fibre) or ADSL & what Home hub have you replaced?

Some Netgear routers don't work well with BT Sport or BT's internet channels btw.

Edit. Just had a thought. Was the Youview box getting it's IP Address from the HomeHub or was it manually assigned within the YV box? Could be that the IP address range the Netgear is using conflicts with the YV box.

0 Ratings
Simon1989
Beginner
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

Ah thanks i've sorted it. Did the tick to make sure that it wasn't disabled.

Then noticed that i still had the ethernet out of the cable box provided at the time it was installed rather than through the powerline adapter to the router. It's all working now!

Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
DaveRo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

I've joined and am posting here in the hope that @Simon1989 will see this and respond. Or maybe others can help.

I'm trying to get a YouView box to work with a Netgear DM200 VDSL modem and the R6400 router. This is with PlusNet TV, not BT, but my understanding is that the technology is the same. (If that's not true, please explain how they differ.)

This thread is the only one I've found that reports that the R6400 works with BT YouView. So can @Simon1989 or anyone else confirm that it does - and if so with what modem(s)? I assume the OP is using is a BT modem, or maybe a hub in modem-only mode, but I'd like to know exactly which model.

I've also read conflicting reports about whether the BT hubs can actually be used in modem-only mode. The PlusNet one cannot be. Perhaps somebody could confirm that. I want to use the R6400 as a NAT router - not merely an access point.

In my tests I've found that the R6400 can be configured to provide internet to the YouView box, in which case IPTV does not work. Or I can bridge all traffic to the LAN port, in which case the YouView box will play IPTV in the background while complaining that it lacks internet access. I've found no way to bridge IPTV only. The R6400 (latest f/w - v1.0.1.22) does not have an IGMP snooping setting - only 'enable IGMP' as mentioned before. It can bridge specifies ports, or by VLAN, but cannot IFAICS send bridged and NATted traffic to the same port.

Based on this single report that the R6400 can work, Netgear are suggesting that the problem is the modem. My feeling is that it's the router. Hence my appearance here.

An additional question for any experts reading this. The DM200 detects both the internet (PPPoE) and IPTV (IPoE) and has a setting 'VLAN passthrough' in modem-only mode. If I set 'VLAN passthough' the R6400 cannot connect to the internet at all.  Do both PPPoE and IPoE arrive in VLAN 101, or only IPTV?

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

Hi
This forum is for BT Broadband users only no one can help you need to use your own providers forum for further help

The OP has not returned since the 11th of December 2016 as he marked this post as solved 

0 Ratings
DaveRo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

@john46I don't know why you bothered to post that.

I explained exactly why I posted here, despite not being a BT Broadband User.

I understand that the technology of PlusNet TV is identical to BTs. The problem I have with Netgear routers and YouView have been described on this forum for similar routers (R7000, R8000).  And contributors to this forum are far more knowledgable than those to PlusNet's community forum so are likely to be able to help me.

The OP may not have returned but he may still be receiving notifications of replies - if that's what happens here. So it's worth a try.

FWIW I've been wrestling with this for some weeks, since posting this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/R6000-Series-AC-WiFi-Routers/DM200-R6220-Cannot-configure-UK-PlusNe...

(Netgear swapped the R6220 has been swapped for a R6400 which was thought more likely to work - but doesn't.)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution
BT hubs cannot be used in modem only mode
0 Ratings