cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gibbylinks
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

RANT HomeHub 6

OK so I like to have all my devices with static IP addresses set by the router, so that when I map my NAS drives etc I know they work and at a glance I can see if there are any devices connected that shouldnt' be.

I set my HH6 up to issue all the addresses and everything works fine, then all of a sudden it decides NAH I'll do my own thing, ditches all the addresses I had setup and nothing talks to each other any more !!

WHY ? The router isn't showing a firmware update it's not rebooted for 5 days so why should it suddenly "forget" all my devices addresses I'd set up?

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: RANT HomeHub 6

The router can't set a static address.  You must manually set the desired address on each device so as to have a static address.  The router can only be set to assign the same address to each device as it connects, so it's still DHCP.   Using DHCP if you 'Reset' the router you lose the address assignments.  But, if you set a static address on each device it will retain this address irrespective of router being 'Factory Reset'.

gibbylinks
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Ok if it can't set static address , explain this in the setup menu for each device

Capture.PNG

I don't set it on the device, because that's how I "lose" devices. When/if I change my router and the address range changes from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.0.0

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 5

What it says on that page is complete rubbish.  It is not assigning a static address, it is, as said before, simply assigning the same address via DHCP to each device in the list.

If you want a static address you have to manually input the address on  each device like this.

static.jpg

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

For the home hub, which is on a different default subnet,

Set the IP address to 192.168.1.50     (or any from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63)

Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS 192.168.1.254

Do not rely on the home hubs DHCP server to behave, it never has, on any of the home hubs.

0 Ratings