cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

RT AC68U setup with HG8110H (GPon ONT)

Go to solution

Hi!

I realise the AC68U thing has been covered across a number of posts/questions, and the operative thing appears to be to setup things as below.

Type: PPPoE

usename: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

password: BT

This however doesn't appear to work with the (router only) RT-AC68U replacing the BT-Smarthub2. I constantly get shown internet to be 'Disconnected'. However wifi etc works in that I can connect to the created ssid, but with no internet available.

I also don't get some of the options that some of the threads report, including 801.q or DSL setting or VDSL settings.

My question is whether it is possible to use the RT-AC68U with the HG8110H by just connecting the latter to the former's WAN port? Or is this something that's only possible with the DSL-AC68U?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: RT AC68U setup with HG8110H (GPon ONT)

Go to solution

You don't need the DSL version of the Asus with FTTP, as you don't have a DSL connection,  input is the WAN port as you have said. The only settings you should need are the ones you have posted.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for confirming this!

Is it then the case that my RT-AC68U is possibly faulty?
When I connect it to the HG8110H, the PON light just blinks green (the LOS light is off as I understand it should be).
I'm not sure why connecting my Smarthub2 gets me internet, but using the RT-AC68U doesn't.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

If your PON light is flashing green, your service hasn't been activated hence no connection.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
That's odd.
I was using the Smarthub2 to access the internet just fine this morning. It stopped working when I switched to the Asus. I then switched back to the Smarthub2 when it needed a couple of restarts before working again.

My BT internet has been down since. Not sure if I've somehow managed to time my switches between routers with actual BT connection issues (!), or if BT has somehow blocked access because they've seen a non-smarthub2 router connected to the network.

In any case, thanks for the hand-holding around this issue! 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

BT don't block access to third party routers.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Right then, it looks like my router tests have coincided with some sort of ongoing BT issues because I now have a red light on LOS and no PON light at all.
Sigh, guess I have to wait for an engineer.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Perhaps you dislodged the fibre optic cable from the ONT when you were swapping between the routers?

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Don't think so, but it's possible I suppose?
In any case, I tried to unplug and plug back in the optical connector to the ONT and its still just red for the LOS and blank on the PON.
0 Ratings