cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoannaH
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Random issue with my wordpress website login page

I have a very specific issue that I am struggling to resolve. Every so often I can't get to one of my wordpress websites login pages - www.joannahunter.com/wp-admin. I am using a BT smarthub on a BT fibre connection.

It brings up an 404 error saying page cannot be found on this server. I can get to the website itself just not the wordpress login page.

It does this on all 3 laptops and mobile phones connected on wifi and ethernet in my house and on multiple browsers, so not a device or browser issue.

If I try using a 4g connection at the same time it works fine, so not a website/hosting issue.

If I reboot the BT Smarthub it starts to work again and I can login ok. This happens a few times a week, I have factory reset the HUB 3 times but problem persists, so I thought it was a HUB issue.

I contacted BT and got a new Smarthub2 sent out. I replaced everything including the microfilter but today the problem has come back and again if I reboot the new HUB it starts to work again.

I have several wordpress websites using 1&1 Ionos and none of the other ones give me a problem.

Anyone got any ideas??

Many thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Random issue with my wordpress website login page

Welcome to this user forum.

Its most likely DNS issues.

Make sure you are opted out to BT Web Address help.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14244/c/346/?s_cid=con_FURL_help/webaddresshelp

Try manually changing the DNS settings on one of your laptops, so it uses Google Public DNS servers at 8.8.8.8.   8.8.4.4

Tirthankar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hey Paul,

Its a DNS server issue.
give a talk with your hosting provider for this

0 Ratings
JoannaH
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Hi and thanks for replying.

The DNS on my own laptop was already set to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 on my wifi adapter whereas the other 2 laptops were getting dns from the HUB. I have tried changing to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.0.0 just to see if it makes any difference. 

Many thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

What happens if you set a static IP address on the laptop, like 192.168.1.50, to eliminate the home hubs DHCP server, which can give problems?

Have you another router you can try, to prove the issue?

0 Ratings
JoannaH
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hi Keith,

I have tried 2 routers, BT Smarthub and the newer Smarthub 2 which arrived yesterday, and get the same random issue with both. Do you mean to try a non-BT  router? Up until August last year I used a BT HUB 5 and never had any problems  with it at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Did you try a fixed IP address on one of the laptops, to see if it was a DHCP issue?

Did you disable Smart setup on the home hub, as that can cause lots of problems if its turned on?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

The fact that the HH5 was fine, tends to indicate a smart hub incompatibility issue.

A third party router is another option to try, you can get a decent one locally for about £40, if you wanted to prove the problem.

0 Ratings