cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karlferg
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Random ping spikes

hi signed up to BT fibre infinity, Seem to get random spikes of ping normally sits around 30-50 but then sometimes jumps upto 100+ every couple of seconds. when playing online on xbox this is a major issue as its as if it misses a frame.

Most of the time i feel like it happens when my sister is watching NowTV box.

My xbox is connected via ethernet probably about 8m long and i've changed the dns on xbox to google as seems to be slightly more stable.

is there anything else i can try this is killing my online gaming experience?

using a BT Smart hub 6

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
karlferg
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Re: Random ping spikes

what kind of noise am i listening for? its got a slight static noise is that just normal not loud
0 Ratings
jb68
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Happening to me, just started recently. 80/20 connection and if i use twitch on another device i get huge lag spikes and thats even after i use QoS Anti bufferbloat on the router.

0 Ratings
karlferg
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Are you using a different router as you have anti bufferbloat etc?
0 Ratings
jb68
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Yeah i've tried 4 routers so far, Asus, BT Hub 6 and XR500 and still getting lag spikes, this has been happening for a few months now, didnt happen before.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

@karlferg Are you using a wired phone? If so there should be no noise at all - if you can hear any static then you may have a line fault so report to BT (line fault not broadband fault).

0 Ratings
karlferg
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Wireless phone
0 Ratings
Ian72
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

The same thing is  happening to me,I've changed my router and use qos but still get high ping spikes with my pc the highest priority for the connection.

I'm sure it's something Bt have changed,this has all started this year before it was fine and I've had no change in usage.

Thought I should add this is on a wired 80/20 connection.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

I'm in the same boat now, my ping hikes up to 320ms. 

I'm not as good at networks as some of you here and really think its bad that you pay so much money and have to troubleshoot QoL issues like this yourself. 

As soon as my contract is up, i'm outta here. cancelling the whole deal. I can't even email someone to get proper discussion going. 

0 Ratings