cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YooHoon
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

Randomly getting Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS)

Randomly throughout the day I sometimes get this problem which makes my internet not work and not being able to access the internet, to fix this I have to turn my router off and back on.

Anyone know the cause of this problem?

I've searched online for multiple methods with all the command prompt commands (Flush DNS, Renew etc..), scanning with malware / adwcleaner etc... Tried using different open DNS (Google etc..) and tried automatic obtain DNS. I'm also using automatic obtain IP.

Maybe it has something to do with my router settings on my router...(?)

If there are any information I should post, please tell me.

Thanks for.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: Randomly getting Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS)

Have you checked that the connection is using IPv4 only - you need to go into the connection properties and untick the IPv6 box.

0 Ratings
YooHoon
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

Re: Randomly getting Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS)

Both were ticked, I have now unticked the IPv6 box.
0 Ratings
YooHoon
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

Bump!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

0 Ratings
YooHoon
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 21

Tried, problem still occurs.

Curious: How do homeplugs work? Any difference between using a homeplug instead of an extension socket?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Homeplugs are just a method of converting your mains wiring to carry Ethernet. Router>(homeplug1>mains wiring>homeplug2)>PC. The part in brackets can just be considered as an Ethernet lead.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

A homeplug or powerline adaptor is a means of using your electrical wiring to carry your data instead of using Ethernet cable.

You need to plug a powerline adaptor into an electrical socket, you then connect your homehub to it with an Ethernet cable. You then plug a second powerline adaptor in to an electrical socket where you want to use your computer and connect your computer to it with an Ethernet cable.

Presumably you are presently using a telephone extension to plug your Homehub into. This should be OK if you are using ADSL "normal" broadband but is not suitable for VDSL Infinity broadband.

0 Ratings
YooHoon
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 21

Possible to use a phoneplug instead of extension socket if the extension socket is potentially faulty?

I also need suggestions on my DNS problem too

0 Ratings
YooHoon
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 21

Bump!
0 Ratings