cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Re: 900mpbs new setup dissapointed

Why don't you just use your current router in modem mode and look at a mesh setup?
Think I seen a 3 pack of Deco M5s for around £140 recently.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Why would you need a modem on an FTTP connection? The ONT is the modem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

So can I plug a mesh system directing in to the ONT or does that not have to go through the router for authentication purposes first?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You are confusing your terminology, you referred to using the router as a modem, which you don't need as the ONT is the modem. You will need a router of some description, either a mesh system that incorporates a router (as many do) or a standalone router and pure wifi mesh without router capability.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Ah right.

So using my current setup as an example.

I use a deco mesh system in access point mode, hard wired in to my BT home hub which is in modem mode.

Once FTTP is installed I can directly connect my deco mesh (in router mode) to the ONT without the need for a router?

Does the ONT (as a modem) have any sort of firewall protection built in or would this need to be part of the mesh setup if connecting directly as a router?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I've split this off from the thread you posted on as it is not relevant to that thread.

First of all, BT hubs don't have a modem only mode, all you have (presumably) done is to turn off wifi and DHCP.

If the Deco mesh has a router mode, then yes, you can connect it directly to the ONT without a hub. You will need to enter the generic PPPoE credentials of

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

There is no firewall in the ONT

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for all your advice.
0 Ratings