cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chrissparks001
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Re: At wit's end, slow broadband and rubbish router

Enjoyed fantastic service up until early October. Fault was deemed to be my wireless connection.

I had changed nothing but the wireless connection issue seems to coincide with the BT marketing of their wireless connectivity hubs in every room programme.

This coincides with BT offering to extend my contract for 18 months instead of 12. Now trapped in contract but can buy myself out for £300+.

BTs solution is that my entire family connect all devices to the router using hard wire

OR

We buy their connectivity hubs.- How lucky are we that this solution coincides with this problem!

Thankfully BT had a commercial solution just in time.

Gosh but they are clever. 🙂

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Are you on old adsl or on a fibre connection

can you post stats from your router. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information. If hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk 

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number.   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Chrissparks001
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Im on fibre.

I have been informed that a lot of my devices which used to be in range a month ago are now not. As a result the system is configuered to limit the download speeds to these devices to 2.4 M Bt / second.

They have me by the preverbials.

I paid to have the wireless upgrade as I need to work.

Very clever if not deviously sharp marketting is how my overly suspicious mind has been left. Not exactly the right frame of mind on which to build a long lasting relationship!

Apologies I can waste any more time on this.

Some great deals available with other suppliers though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

I think you are confusing the 2 frequency bands used for wifi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and speed. It doesn't mean your wifi speed is 2.4Mb/s, it just means your devices are using the 2.4Ghz band.

0 Ratings
Chrissparks001
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Thanks

Service is still massively degraded from a month ago. The wi fi range has massively deteriorated to less than 2 metres or so. Now that isn't something we have done. There has been a technical change to the nature or quality of the broadband service BT have chosen to provide.

The only way to get workable downloads is if we all connect to the router with wired connections. The problem is, there are only 4 sockets on the router and mobile devices do not have sockets!

The guarantee of 30 M B/sec is only for wired connections! Who in this day and age only uses wired connections?

Bit like guranteeing that your matchlock pistol will fire 3 times in every 10! 

Anyway I may have found the solution.

You simply pay up!

I will let you know when the new hubs and boosters are installed along with another upgraded Router. (2nd Router in a week)!

Thanks anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

presumably you did switch off smart setup and selected wireless channels manually rather than leave on automatic

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@Chrissparks001 wrote:

Thanks

Service is still massively degraded from a month ago. The wi fi range has massively deteriorated to less than 2 metres or so. Now that isn't something we have done. There has been a technical change to the nature or quality of the broadband service BT have chosen to provide.

No there hasn't, either the hub has gone faulty or your environment has changed causing wireless interference.

The only way to get workable downloads is if we all connect to the router with wired connections. The problem is, there are only 4 sockets on the router and mobile devices do not have sockets!

The guarantee of 30 M B/sec is only for wired connections! Who in this day and age only uses wired connections?

It is impossible to guarantee wifi performance and no ISP does so, there are too many variables to consider.

Bit like guranteeing that your matchlock pistol will fire 3 times in every 10! 

Anyway I may have found the solution.

You simply pay up!

I will let you know when the new hubs and boosters are installed along with another upgraded Router. (2nd Router in a week)!

Thanks anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

@Chrissparks001 wrote:

Thanks

Service is still massively degraded from a month ago. The wi fi range has massively deteriorated to less than 2 metres or so. Now that isn't something we have done. T

Its more likely that the internal wireless module, or its connection to the internal aerial has gone faulty. This has been reported before on this forum, and its typical of very cheap mass produced ISP routers. Its quite rare for commercial branded routers, probably due to better quality control.

Its also possible that you have a strong interfering wireless signal from another nearby device like a wireless video sender. These do not show up as a wireless network, but can blot out up to three adjacent wireless channels.

Usually changing the wireless channel on the home hub can help.

0 Ratings
Chrissparks001
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

They have sent a new hub and its the same problem.

Do you think its two faulty hubs?

Cant think of any environmental changes at all.

Wireless connectivity is good up to 2 to 3 metres away but after that abysmal.

You say 'It is impossible to guarantee wifi performance and no ISP does so, there are too many variables to consider.'

This is exactly what the call centre have said but it doesnt alter the fact that it was good a month ago and now is unusable, guarantee or not.

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Have you tried Keith's suggestion of :

Usually changing the wireless channel on the home hub can help

It worked for me a couple of years ago when a large family moved in next door. I cannot remember how I pulled it off but it was a relief to be back up to speed. We now have 9  wifi connections on the go without any issues.

0 Ratings