Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swarland
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Re: BT Home Hub 5 Dynamic DNS

Go to solution

Hello,

New to this, so please excuse my ineptness.

Have set up a new HH5 to update my paid for DYNDNS service for a CCTV/DVR system.

Everything works OK with the IP address being updated by the DYNDNS client software on my PC, but the settings within the HH5 will not transmit the updated IP address itself.

When setting up the HH5 host, the Dynamic DNS option fails to connect saying "Dynamic DNS service status: connection error - unknown dyndns.org error".

I know that everything is correct in the settings, and the client software works perfectly, but I don't want to have the PC on permanently when the HH5 should do the task itself.

Is there an inherent problem with HH5?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

There have been no reported issues with the HH5 Dynamic DNS service.

The error message you are seeing is usually due to either the hostname, user name, or password being incorrect.

The service name is dyndns

The hostname needs to be the full one, like mine     forumhelp.dyndns.info

The user name is your user account name with DynDNS.

The password is your account password with DynDNS.

Some CCTV/DVR systems have a DDNS option as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
swarland
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hello Keith,

In the HH5 Dynamic DNS set up, the User name is my DYNDNS username. The password is my DYNDNS password. (this reverts to 8 stars every time I go into the option, although my password is only 6 characters).the service selected is DynDNS out of the 7 options available. Multiple hosts is not selected. The host is my registered XXXXXXXX.dyndns.org service.

When I select Apply, I get the message Dynamic DNS service status: Connection error - Unknown dyndns.org error and a green changes applied symbol shows along with "To confirm connection status please click the ‘Refresh’ button".

The refresh button removes the green changes applied, but both of the previous messages remain.

I am positive that these fields are correct, and they all work with the DYNDNS host application running on my PC.

2 years ago when I was last with BT, all of these settings and services ran with a Home Hub 3, but having returned to BT after a 2 year lapse, the new HH5 refuses to work with its own internal service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Try a factory reset of the home hub, then try again.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factor...

Finally, make sure your IP address is not being shared, as that may also cause an error.

See http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/c/6433

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
swarland
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hello Keith,

To update the problem, I tried all of the suggestions without any success whatsoever, and was resigned to leaving the computer on for the client updater to keep DYNDNS current.

As a last resort, I opened a free NO-IP service with exactly the same login, password, and hostname only with a ddns.net suffix.

I left my HH5 login settings alone, only changing the host name to ddns.net, and selecting no-ip in the dropdown instead of dyndns.

Yes, it worked instantly, without even installing the client updater on my PC.

Clearly, there is a problem in HH5 with the DYNDNS firmware that doesn’t relate to other services.

Problem eliminated, but not solved………..

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Sorry to update an existing thread, but I have just discovered something relating to the DynDNS service which has given me some issues, and people may be unaware of.

DynDNS have introduced a new client verification key, which you have to use in update clients, instead of your account password, otherwise you get an authentication error.

This key can be found by logging into your account, and can then be entered into the BT Home Hub.

I discovered this when a remote IP camera connection tried to update its host address, and failed.

0 Ratings
cookm
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
That's very helpful, Keith..! I'm having real problems with some of my IP cameras not updating their IP address at dyndns.com and this could be why!
I'll have a look at adding the key instead of the password tomorrow...
Cheers,
Martin
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@cookm wrote:
That's very helpful, Keith..! I'm having real problems with some of my IP cameras not updating their IP address at dyndns.com and this could be why!
I'll have a look at adding the key instead of the password tomorrow...
Cheers,
Martin

I am still having a few issues with DynDNS recently, when updating remote IP cameras. It does not seem to work with the Foscams, and also fails with an update client running on a PC. It gives authentication errors in both cases.

I have been unable to find out why this is, as I think its something to do with the BT Broadband connection at the remote end, which is blocking or corrupting the update requests. Its not Parental controls, or web address help.

As Its not easy to run full diagnostics at the remote location, I thought I would try the NO-IP DDNS service. This works perfectly, so its an issue with DynDNS.

As its important that the remote site works, I have moved it over to NO-IP.

I am now not certain that is essential to use the key, instead of the account password on DynDNS, as it may simply be an option, to avoid having to put in the account password, which may be a security issue.

DynDNS works fine at this end, using either the account password, or the key. So its all a bit of a mystery.

If you still have problems, try the free version of NO-IP to start with, to see if it works.

0 Ratings
Zorslayer
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi.  Entering my DynDNS verification key in the password field works for me. My DynDNS password is not accepted. I suspect it's because that's the way the HHs firmware is configured.

0 Ratings