cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G4RHL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Re: BT Home Hub 6

My Home Hub 6 arrived today. Unless it takes some time to settle down (possible) impressions are not good. The signal strength is not as good as the Home Hub 5 and devices are struggling to get into wifi in some parts of the house when they did not before. Devices forget about the connection and I have to re-enter the password. It does not like you changing the wifi password and in my case insists on adding "amp" to it when I do change it. My desktop computer is alongside the Hub and if I ask it to connect to wifi it finds the signal from a port extender far away in the corner of a downstairs room, is stronger,

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

While you should not need to do this to get the hub to work properly you should make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub. 

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

You might also want to split the wireless networks. See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

not sure what you mean by Wi-Fi password I would also suggest you look at some of the other available wireless settings available in the interface
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

@john46 wrote:
not sure what you mean by Wi-Fi password I would also suggest you look at some of the other available wireless settings available in the interface

Presumably, the thing called a "Wireless password/key" on the label on the back of the Hub?  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14000/?s_intcid=con_sanda:Hubhub:L1:Smart_Hub:L2:wire...

Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

could well be ? just unusual terminology
0 Ratings
G4RHL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Am on my second Home Hub 6 now. BT have replaced the first one. The second is marginally better but does not even come close to BT's promotion of it. "The UK's most powerful wifi signal" is what they say. It certainly isn't. Whilst devices connect to the replacement more readily than the original they often prefer to connect to other wifi signals further away. I have two port extenders, one is in my garage, the other in my lounge. My iPhone, iPad or iMac may be only 12 inches or so away from the Hub but they see the port extenders as stronger signals. Indeed my desktop when it boots up prefers to either log into BT Wifi with Fon (my neighbour's!) or one of the port extenders. 

Splitting the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands helps and indeed my iPad sometimes connects to the 5 ghz band a distance away when I would not expect it to so yes they must have boosted the signal. Also making sure the smart setup is not on helps. I have tried tried changing channels.

But to tell us this is the UK's most powerful when devices can't see it when a couple of feet away is perhaps something the Advertising Standards Authority ought to look at.

I understand BT are working on a firmware upgrade which should alleviate the need to separate the bands.

I also should say, whilst devices to struggle to see the wifi, it has improved since I installed the Hub last week.

I really would expect though that my iPhone, iPad or iMac, when only a foot or so away would immediately see the hub's wifi as the strongest and lock on to it, not my neighbour's nor a port extender 50 feet away.

0 Ratings
G4RHL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Re john46's comment, I have been through all the various settings. I was on the phone to BT for over 30 minutes they suggesting all things I had already tried. It was the result of that produced the replacement hub. The replacement hub still wants to add "amp" to the end of the wifi password if you seek to change it. No idea why. If you don't add it when you save the new one it appears and if you add amp and then save you end up with "ampamp`' at the end.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Wireless routers are restricted in the UK, to 100mW of output power, so its going to be very difficult to do much with a device which has only internal aerials for aesthetic reasons. Interference from the close proximity of the internal circuitry is also going to degrade receive performance.

Wireless routers which have one or more external aerials are nearly always going to give a much better ERP (Effective Radiated Power) and range

I will leave you to draw your own conclusions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

there was a previous post wher the poster said that 'amp' being added is a problem when using chrome and not with other browsers  have you tried different browsers?

most posters confirm the wireless is stronger than hh5 - myself included

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mlmclaren94
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

The wireless is stronger on 5Ghz but doesn't work on 2.4Ghz anymore...

This hub is a nightmare to live with, putting wireless aside even hard wired devices are having a hard time keeping connected.

The hub consistently restarts, it's seems to be crashing all the time, the 2G radio keeps dropping every few minutes leading to mobile devices having their battery drained due to overtime being work by WiFi chips, I've had to seperate the networks and push everything possible on to 5G... and whats left on 2G will not stay connected.

BT can kiss my ... at the end of this contract... 

0 Ratings