cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Re: BT WiFi with FON - No Internet Access

I can't see  in my case that FON connection to the internet depends purely on whether the nearest BT router owner has his or her router switched on. My problem is quite complex inasmuch as my wife and I have a BT brodband account, but my office is too far from the router in her office ( two separate buildings over 150 yards apart)  for me to  use.

Because of this ( and there is no landline in my office) I use the FON facility all day. Normally it conects fine but every now and then it will fail to put me on line and  wikk display  OPEN NO INTERNET. This can happen for a morning or an afternoon or, as with  the last two days, for a day or more. It also affects my Kindle Fire and  and phone  so can't be just my  computer. As far as I know there is nobody switching their router off now and then for varying periods. Any sensible  (not  'well mine works  fine so it must be your fault' ) comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community, so please watch this thread for updates.

Why can`t you connect to the normal wireless signal from the BT Home hub, as it should be the same strength?

You could run an Ethernet cable between the two buildings, or possibly use an external wireless access link as described on this page. That would give you a separate wireless network.

Extending wireless to another building

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Could it be anything to do with the BT Wi-fi Fair Use Policy?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

@Keith_BeddoeI presume the OP is connecting to a third party's hub for the FON signal not his own.

@georgeeast1Wifi is not a reliable medium and can be affected by interference the source of which may come and go thus not providing a reliable signal.

If the mains for the 2 buildings are fed from the same consumer unit, you could use powerline adaptors.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Thanks Keith. My wife's office with the router in is 150 yards from my office, hidden by another building. It is obviously not her router that my computer is picking up ( whatever the helicoptpr ads claim) for FON. I only have one BT FON offer amongst the host of SKY and Virgin and other routers/signals\my compuer picks up. Obviously,  if I knew who had the BT home hub that I am piggy backing off I coud knock on the door and ask if they would give me the password for a fiver a week or somethng. It's what Iused to do when my direct neighbour had a BT homehub. Unfortunately he has moved and the new neighbours, like me,  don't have a BT line. We will be moving in a couple of weeks os it would be crazy to install a landline in this office/flat and do a homehub deal here.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Not much you can do about it. You are probably exceeding the usage limit anyway.

You may be able to run an Ethernet cable, as Cat 6 cable can be used up to 100 metres.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Nothing to do with 'fair use' pottyperso. My wife and I are already BT home hub customers, so I am entitled to use FON anywhere in the world, which I often do. The problem is that at 150 yards away behind another building, our router is too far away for me to use . I am thus using an unknown home hub, and that's the problem.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

You are only entitled to use the service within the bounds of the fair usage policy however.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

@georgeeast1 wrote:
Nothing to do with 'fair use' pottyperso. My wife and I are already BT home hub customers, so I am entitled to use FON anywhere in the world, which I often do. The problem is that at 150 yards away behind another building, our router is too far away for me to use . I am thus using an unknown home hub, and that's the problem.

It still applies to all users.

Quote "If you regularly use the service inappropriately, or your usage exceeds 10,000 minutes in any given month, your session may be disconnected and you’ll need to re-login every 30 minutes thereafter until the start of the next month"

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

So what is the 'Fair Usage policy'? If I used the same office as my wife I would be using our router all day. As I said, when I am not in her office I use FON all over the world. That's part of the reason we chose BT. Is it somehow 'not fair' that I am sitting in an place 150 yards from my router and thus cannot use it? The problem should be solved in a couple of months as we are moving home and offices into one unit and will be able to share the same router, but until then iit is intensely irritating to be constantly told that there s no internet. The simple fact is that is is very very unlikely my problem cannot be caused by someone switching his or her router off every now and then. For instance it has dropped out and said NO INTERNET eighteen times in the last hour and then come online again when I start over. I can't think my unknown host comes back every few minutes just to turn his or her router on and off!
0 Ratings