cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fozzie_17
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Re: BT home hub 5 wifi keeps dropping

I am assuming that this is still an issue for all of you guys to?!

We have been with BT for the past 18 months or more using the BTHH4 and I never had a problem in the slightest. 

We finally got fibre in our area and so we pay the little bit extra to get better speeds and the bloke tells us that we need to have the HH5 as the HH4 wouldn't work with fibre (don't know if this is true).

Since swapping to the HH5 we have had constant problems with the wifi dropping out. It works perfectly on my PC and TV which are Ethernet but the wifi just seems so unstable! 

I have tried the usual of setting seperate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless, I have set them to the least congested channels in our area, I have tried different combinations of speeds/'wireless interface types' and I have even tried disabling the 5GHz but this still didn't seem to help. The 5GHz seems to be less stable so this isn't being used by anything. 

Does anyone know if I can just swap the old HH4 back into its place?

I also have an old Netgear router that I am currently using as a hub and wifi extender (this set up also worked on the previous HH4), is it worth trying the Netgear as the main router or is this not really compatible?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

The hh4 will not work on fibre without using a separate modem and probably neither will your netgear. You need to post stats so go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Fozzie_17
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the quick response!

This is 1-12

1. Product Name: HomeHub5 

2. Serial number: +076284+1502000362 

3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown] 

4. Board version: 01 

5. VDSL uptime: 8 days, 16:49:26 

6. Data Rate: 1738 / 16894 

7. Maximum Data Rate: 1723 / 21651 

8. Noise Margin: 5.2 / 7.4 

9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 29.8 

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 

11. Data sent/received: 3.4 GB / 37.0 GB 

12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Did you try using channel 13 on the 2.4ghz network and see if that helps as many routers don't have that option

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Fozzie_17
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I haven't tried 13 yet, I was trying 11. 

I have now set it to 13 so will see how we get on with it. 

0 Ratings
Fozzie_17
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

This is still going horribly. 

This morning it didn't get much use at all before work and it dropped out several times. This evening it has been horrific! When it has been dropping out it hasn't just been for a couple of seconds, it seems to be going down for 10 minutes or so at a time. 

I have tried changing the channel to 2 as this was uncongested at the time but the same thing has happened. 

Getting very fed up now as I will not be able to work from home with internet like this! 

On the phone to BT now but whether they will tell me anything good I don't know.

0 Ratings
Clarence
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I sent a complaint email to BT about this this morning. I'll await response with baited breath.

I thought there might have been a firmware update since I last looked at this but doing tests this morning my wifi dropped in under 5 minutes. Quality product!

0 Ratings