cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Re: Configure other provider's Wireless Access Point and Antenna to point to a BTwifi hotspot??

Go to solution

first post so I'm not sure if I can ask this in a solved issue or if this is the right place to ask.

I share an excellent bt service with a friends+ who is two doors down.

in the summer it's been no problem as i've sent my antenna out on the veranda thru' the door with the door left on the catch so it didn't crush the wires.  the signal has been excellent despite it coming from the router on the window ledge and pointing directly outwards and slightly away from me.

Bringing the antenna in has also been surprisingly good for some of the time but not all. I am not sure what affects it.  There is a tall lilac tree in the garden in the middle and we do not talk or get on with the neighbour.

We both live in properties with double glazed plastic windows and aren't allowed to drill any holes to the outside but there is conveniently, a tv antenna hole from the home with the router and there is space for at least another whole tv antenna cable which can be used.

My question is, is there any router which bt sell (or any other approved bt product or usable product) which can carry a cable/wire antenna (of any description) outside thru' that antenna hole and if so can you tell me  which one it is please.

We've experiemented by taking the router outdoors and my antenna indoors and the results are excellent.  We cannot however keep the router outdoors in the wet rain cold and electrical hazard possibility.

Tonight I am getting an excellent 10mb/s and this is for say 30% of the time and doesn't vary.  For the rest of the time it can be anythng from 0.0 and returns an error message to say 1 mb/s which is entirely usable but not ideal.  Ping rates also go into the hundreds. 

We are delighted with the service from bt and us sharing the service has allowed my friend to have the full TV package and me to work and upload and download files with ease all thru' the summer. 

bt forum pict.jpgbtw test 5th oct.jpg

The light grey is a yard and the dark grey is a solid stone and brick built shed at 1st floor height around 20' long

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Configure other provider's Wireless Access Point and Antenna to point to a BTwifi hotspot??

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

I would suggest that you use a wireless access point which can accept an external aerial and operae in the client mode.

TP link make such a unit, this is the manufacturers webpage http://www.tp-link.com/la/products/details/cat-12_TL-WA701ND.html

This has an aerial socket which can used to connect an external aerial like this http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-5691_TL-ANT2409A.html

This will receive the signal from your friend`s BT Home hub, and present it to you as a LAN connection.

I use the same arrangement to provide access for my next door neighbour via my guest network, but I do not need an external aerial as it a short distance.

Is that any help?

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

Thank you .  How do I find it in the new thread please ?

And thank you for your help with suggestions for products I will check them out right away

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

This is the new thread Smiley Wink

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

OK - just checked both of them out.  I already use an antenna similar to the one you showed me, it's connected via USB and it works great.

So could I ask you please if the unit (the access point) takes the antenna which is designed for going outside ?  If so can you recommend a transmit type antenna please?

The unit looks great.

Thank you very much !  Beginning to feel like I will have a warm winter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

That link I gave you is the external antenna that plugs into the aerial socket on the back of the wireless access point, it goes in where the normal supplied aerial plugs into, its a standard RP-SMA male socket.

The external antenna has an RP-SMA female plug.

That is a transmit and receive antenna.

Unless your existing antenna has an RP-SMA female plug on the end, then it would not work with the wireless access point.

Is your USB adapter like this one?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

I am confused, are you trying to improve the signal transmitted from your friend`s house, or improve the reception at your end?

If its at your friend`s house, then you can still use the TP Link in the access point mode, and plug that into a LAN port on their home hub.

That will transmit a separate wireless signal to your house.

There is a guide on this page Using a TP Link WA701ND you would have to use the access point option.

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

Ok - I am going to sound very thick here I think.  I am no technician.

Does the 150mbps n access unit fit on the router end or my end (the remote computer end)

It needs to fit on the router end and then the antenna (wire) has to go out thru' that hole and hopefully attach to the wall in the walkway as shown on the diagram.  That way I don't need to have the square dish antenna running onto my veranda.

Perhaps the antenna comes with it - I hadn't thought of that ?

If it goes on my computer end I still end up with a draughty doorway.  It's very cold and windy here for most of the year.

0 Ratings
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

I really do apologise for being dense.

The quality of the users isn't equal to that of the advisors, thats for sure.

I however am truly (honestly and sincerely) incredibly greateful for this help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

I will draw a diagram for you, so watch this thread for an update, as it will take me about 15 minutes.