cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 11 of 27

Re: Configure other provider's Wireless Access Point and Antenna to point to a BTwifi hotspot??

Go to solution

Thank you so much!

0 Ratings
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Re: Configure other provider's Wireless Access Point and Antenna to point to a BTwifi hotspot??

Go to solution

No I am hoping that I don't need to leave my door on the catch over the winter.  The service is perfect all over my friends home although he uses the service mostly for TV.  I am the one using the internet bit of it.

Throughout his place on a tablet I borrowed shows a red (over power) signal strength using wifi-analyser from the windows store.  The signal from his router is amazing.  I am in awe to be honest.  We migrated to BT from Talk Talk and it's like a different world

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

This would be the arrangement at your friend`s house. Does this make sense?

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/images/accesspoint_external.jpg

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

Brilliant.

Now I got it.

Thank you so much for your care and patience.  Tell your boss you are due a raise.

Awesome.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

@PembsUsers wrote:

Brilliant.

Tell your boss you are due a raise.

Awesome.

Keith is just another customer, only the mods are BT employees.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

@PembsUsers wrote:

Brilliant.

Now I got it.

Thank you so much for your care and patience.  Tell your boss you are due a raise.

Awesome.

That is funny Smiley Wink

I am a BT pensioner, and I doubt they would be interested, neither would the government who pay my state pension.

If you need help regarding the WA701ND, this page may help. Using a TP Link WA701ND

Use the Access Point mode, you will then have to connect to the new SSID at your end, instead of the home hub SSID.

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution

I am sorry I had thought you were a help desk expert at least.  I had no idea you were another customer.

Even more reason for me to thank you and I will most definitely know how I get on with the rigging up.

Thank you for the amazing help (and for being so patient)

0 Ratings
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution

I missed one question you asked as my screen had sun behind it re: the sort of antenna I was using. 

I am using this exact one  (sorry it's a pic from ebay) it works perfectly and despite being cheap and light is remarkably robust.  It's been dropped and stood on several times and is still in one piece and working just fine

Aerial

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

I doubt very much that what you are using is legal to use in the UK as it must have a wireless transmitter inside which exceeds the 100mW legal limit for transmitted power, to reach 3KM distance.

The seller makes no mention whether its type approved for use in the UK, I imagine its for the Chinese market.

I guess that unless you are causing interference to other users, you may get away with it.

Back in 2006, Ofcom did discuss the possibility of increasing this power limit, but it was decided that there was too much risk of interference.

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

Hi again.  It's a receiving antenna - square dish type.  It must obviously be able to transmit as well as I upload but isn't the upload "governed" by the router and the windows 10 interface?  Also the power limitations on the USB port

I didn't realise there was such a thing as a legal antenna.

There are thousands of these sold.  Should we have been warned?

0 Ratings