Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennethS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Re: Draytek Vigor 130

Go to solution

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I thought it was better than starting a new one. I currently have a BT ADSL connection using a DrayTek Vigor 130 and a Synology RT2600 router. My home network is set up the way I want and has been very stable and reliable. BT Infinity has finally come to my neghbourhood, I have upgraded and I am scheduled to go live on 21/7. My understanding is the DrayTek should auto switch over to the VDSL connection when the service is ported over. I really do not want to connect the HomeHub that is being sent to me, and wanted to confirm that the DrayTek should just automatically connect when the VDSL connection is activated?

Is there any need to install the BT supplied HomeHub during a period of line testing?  

I did call BT customer support but they seemed to know less about this than me (which is a pretty low bar).  I happen to be away from home for a couple of weeks starting on the activation date.  Bad timing but I didn't want to delay the activation of Infinity having waited many years for it to become available, and I am hoping the house will not lose Internet access in my absence.

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Go to solution

Yep, just leave things as they are and all should be well. No need to use the hub at all.

KennethS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the swift reply! You are a superstar!

0 Ratings
KennethS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Unfortunately all is not well. The upgrade to Infinity 2 supposedly happened on 21/7 (I received an email and text message to this effect), but there is no internet connection in my home. The modem and router I use (Draytek Vigor 130 and Synlology RT2600) have been rock solid for many months with my BT ADSL connection but after the switch to VDSL there is no connection. I have since been getting the run around with the BT on-line help. They claim they found a fault but keep pushing out the date for the engineer repair (most recently was yesterday, which came and went).

Very frustrated and every time I contact the on-line help it seems they just run through a standard scripted checklist and waste a lot of my time and give me a new "fix by" date....

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Silly question time.  What are the lights on the front of the modem doing?  The DoS light should be off, so that's fine.

Did you power off the modem after the switch over was meant to happen?   If not then it's worth a try, about 30 seconds or so should be enough.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@KennethS have you tried connecting with the hub to see if that will connect?

KennethS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks both for the quick replies.  I foolishly allowed the upgrade to go ahead while I am away from home, in the hope the modem & router would automatically re-establish a connection when the line switched over to the VDSL connection.  I will do a full reboot with my equpment when I am back home and, failing that working, try connectng the BT supplied hub to test.

When I contacted the on-line BT helpline to let them know my equpment did not estblish a connection (explaining I wasn't home) they told me their tests found a line fault on their end and they logged a fault (which still shows in my account as ongloing).

But your suggestions are of course correct and I will try both upon my return.  Sadly it looks like my home will remain without internet connectivity pending my return.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Just another thought.  I would imagine the Synology RT2600 was configured to connect to ADSL.  If so it would need the VDSL setting entered.

The username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password bt are already there so should just need to change to PPPoE and use VLAN 101.

That should be all you need to enter.

KennethS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, Liam, that is very helpful.  I will check those settings in the router when I am back!

0 Ratings
KennethS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Just wanted to finish this off with a hearty thank you to you all for your help.  It seems a combination of something BT did at the cabinet and a router re-boot have solved my issue.  In fact, I am enjoying a faster connection than I had expected given my home's distance from the cabinet.  

Thanks again for the assistance!

0 Ratings